DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reflecting on past threads, it's apparently I got a cooling system gremlin with my 3.5L - lots of quirks that have remained unsolved despite a lot of efforts on mine and other behalf.

I've noticed this over the months - My temperature will consistently sit just above or mid way from the first quarter on the gauge. No matter if city driving or high way driving or on a track.

This would be the second time noticing this, and it always happens on the same stretch of road; my temperature needle without any obvious reason spike a hair above the third quarter or just under it. Then either drop back to the first quarter position after a moment or if I let off the gas briefly.

Air pockets escaping perhaps? As history is doomed to repeat itself, it still gurgles five minutes after the vehicle is shut down from short or extended trips.

I have a new intake manifold, getting gaskets soon and replacing that as it was mentioned as a possible air leak, but I was advised by my Dodge manager friend that he's noted gurgling being a "NORMAL" thing?

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Sticking thermostat? Coolant reservoir or bad cap leaking but leaving no trace causing air pocket?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cap a few times now with different ones. Never had cooling issues when I had the 2.7, but anything is possible. I'll snag a new reservoir.

Hard to say about the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
...I'll snag a new reservoir...
I would spend the little extra and get OEM from an online discount dealer. The aftermarket ones are Dorman - I don't trust them for critical parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh, couldn't agree more!

I was going to snag two at the yard that I know are OK. The owner called to tell me he just got two new LH's in that are running. Just junked for rust reasons. Should be OK.

The thermostat look like it's an unbelievable pain to replace...

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
...I was going to snag two at the yard that I know are OK. The owner called to tell me he just got two new LH's in that are running. Just junked for rust reasons. Should be OK.
Since the reservoir is truly a limited-life item (the plastic gets weak and brittle from the heat and pressure), I can't see putting one from a junker in with the age of all of these cars.

The thermostat look like it's an unbelievable pain to replace...
Many people find that the best way to get to it is from above after removing the alternator - also remove oil filter for more working room around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts