DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here rebuilt a 3.5 for performance? I am thinking of getting a second engine, doing a complete build on it and dropping it in place of my current engine. Anyone know of parts available for this kind of build?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats kinda the problem with driving a trep, there isn't much in the way of a performance crank etc available for it, and not much is manufactured aftermarket, so most of your options are rather limited. Check the other threads around, and try the search button to find more specific info.

·
Registered
531 Posts
FraTrepid said:
Thats kinda the problem with driving a trep, there isn't much in the way of a performance crank etc available for it, and not much is manufactured aftermarket, so most of your options are rather limited. Check the other threads around, and try the search button to find more specific info.
From what I've read, the 3.5 was built as a rather 'premium' engine to begin with, like a forged crank and stuff. Chrysler patterned it after an Acura V6 which they regarded as the best engine of its type. Carmakers are pretty darned good at getting the most out of their engines these days and don't leave a lot of untapped potential. (Unless you want to gain 10hp with a special tailpipe tip like I saw the other day.)

Back in the 60's, guys would buy a brand new car (sometimes on 2 years payments, and they were working part time at a grocery store while going to school), bring it home, and yank the engine apart right away to change the cam, the manifolds, the carb, you-name-it. Then they'd fill it up with 35 cent a gallon high test leaded gas and go cruising. I wasn't old enough to drive then but I remember my brother's friends doing that.

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
yea ebay has lots of performance goodies like , fart can exhaust,, chips that do nothing,, and if you belive there crap ive got a bridge that ill sell

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
You can do some items yourself...if you are handy. You can build your own intake, get a throttle body, and have it bored out, take your car to an exhaust shop, and open it up.
You could also then get the Kenne Bell Optimizer II, and a 160* thermostat [from me :) ]
Look at my Cardomain page, and see what is there....

If you have any questions, drop me a line!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I was looking to build up a 3.5, as a secong engine, I would probably see about getting some head work done, a reground cam, possibly custom headers, bored out throttle body with smoother wider tubing, and one of shadowvox6's intake spacers (I may look at doing the latter 2 in the distant future). Then there are all of the traditional LH mods (see my sig). What I think would be helpful, is to spend more time building up the tranny to try to reduce our tranny tax (30-33%!) to get more power to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yaknow... everyoine i talk to in the hotrod world says that's about right for a transmission powerdrop...automatic that is. As far as performance rebuild you just have to go to the right place. http://www.topendperformance.com quoted me $4500 To build YOUR engine core....This is using Forged Pistons, Forged Rods, Stainless Valves, good hardware, Balanced and bluprinted with your crank Nitride Hardened for extra strength. This incoudes all new Gaskets, Bearings, Timing components, Etc....

tack on about another $600 for shipping to and from and you've got a hotrod engine...since talking to him tho i've found a nearer shop that will provide muuuch better pricing (midwest compared to California :S) and when i get done i'll let u know :)

Just don't let the lack of aftermarket backing hold you back. As i've said before i'm comforted by the lack of aftermarket that's how i know when i roll up in my big boosted beast i'll be the only one there as opposed to my buddy James with his Civic and fart pipe...he'll be lost in a sea of his own kind...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Didn't ProwlerPro have a nitrous kit that included a set of compact headers? It seems like that might be used on the intrepid as well. There has to be more room under the hood in an intrepid than a Prowler. It might be worth a look. I would wait for the first junked charger and put the hemi, 5 speed and independent rear drive. That's the only thing that would ever make an intrepid as fast as it looks.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
we'll see ;) The prowler has more room for headers because the transmission is in the rear of the car. We have the output shafts where those headers would go. I have headers but they aren't the same as the prowlers they're routed around the transmission output shafts.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I was going to mention looking at prowlerpro.com and any other plymouth prowler website as paxton offered a supercharger kit for the 3.5L it used(same as ours). I would assume some of their owners had built up the engine

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
heh... there was a prowler with a 4.9 ltr v6. That's right...bored and stroked 3.5. It was pretty mean. The superchardger has been discussed here but it's just not in the cards. You'd have to move or remove something. If you want a track car with no ac then it's for you but i want ac so turbo is my thing :)

·
Registered
95 Posts

I'm looking for something a little different. I'm shopping Pacificas and if I get a 3.5, I'd like to re-tune it for a lower torque and HP peak. Not lots of info out there. OR if I get an 07 with the 3.8, I'd be looking at HP & TQ boosters.
Obviously a 5- or 6-speed tranny would take care of a lot of these problems but what would it cost to A) Buy it and B) Mod it to link onto the 3.5 east-west motor or the 3.8?
Too bad MB doesn't donate a few dozen 7-speeds for experimental purposes...
Thanks for any ideas, I'm posting here because there's not a whole lot of performance info at the Caravan/Voyager/T&C sites regarding the 3.8.

·
Registered
714 Posts
ShadowVox, what will a 160* thermostat do to improve proformance ??

·
Registered
476 Posts
Captain said:
ShadowVox, what will a 160* thermostat do to improve proformance ??
yea im curious if it will work for a 1st gen too.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Why do you want less power? If yoiu're going for more economy then just keep your foot out of it. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
GreenAcres said:
No. Lower power peak, the 3.5 makes 250 @ 6400 rpm, 250 TQ @ 4000 rpm. Power and torque peaks lower down, particularly the HP peak, make for more useful power.
Wouldn't do so reduce your top end??
I for one like being able to do 220+ when I want to :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You won't lower your peak without lowering your overall...Shadovox's Intake spacer will move the curve lower into the powerband. You might look into that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.