DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you I am needing one of these so I decided to call my local Dodge dealer parts department. They advised me that the part is on backorder but the supplier is releasing 110 units on September 1st. Further, they said there is a note in the system that the parts are going to dealerships only, no secondary or aftermarket jobbers. The price they quoted was $95.00. Can't verify any of this, just repeating what the dealer told me, if anyone else is looking for one that might be your only way to go. And at least there is a release date.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
Are you sure its the rear main and not the oil pan or rear cam cover plates? I have just about never seen a rear main leak on one of these engines...maybe once...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure its the rear main and not the oil pan or rear cam cover plates? I have just about never seen a rear main leak on one of these engines...maybe once...
No, there is no leak. I just thought it might be best to replace it while the engine is apart, since I have no idea of the mileage or usage of the engine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Got to love 4663870! I have had many posts on this part begging someone to help me find one! I have had on one order since last December. Every time I call I'm told that 3 weeks later it will be available. The backorder is becuase Chrysler lost the supplier that makes the aluminum plate which is different than the supplier that lays the nitrile.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
No, there is no leak. I just thought it might be best to replace it while the engine is apart, since I have no idea of the mileage or usage of the engine.
If it aint broke dont fix it!!! Depending on the mileage/age of the engine, a new seal could possibly cause a leak.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I normally would agree with that, if it aint broke dont fix it. And I guess I will just put it back on and see what happens. So here's another question about replacing parts that aren't broken, how do you get the spark plug tubes out of the head? Do they come out? Are they press fit?

·
Premium Member
16,969 Posts
...So here's another question about replacing parts that aren't broken, how do you get the spark plug tubes out of the head? Do they come out? Are they press fit?
They're Loctited in. RTFM!! LOL!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The book says to use locking pliers. I was wondering if there were any tips, tricks or secrets of the trade to getting them loose and getting them out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
take a oring pick or small flat head screw driver and gently smack it with a hammer to wedge it between the spark plug tube seal and the valve cover. Then roll the lip to reduce the OD and you should have no problem getting it out.

When you install the new ones use blue loc-tite or anerobic sealer, lightly apply then take your finger and make sure it has the same consistency around the seal and insert back into valve cover, if it doesn't fit gently whack with a plastic or brass hammer.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that works for the seals but how about the spark plug tubes themselves? Any tips on getting them out or do you just have to bust them out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh i'm sorry I thought you were asking about the seals.

this is what I did.

·
Registered
140 Posts
for some reason tinypic.com is not working....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, thats how i got the seals out, with a thin flat blade screwdriver and light hammer. I've clamped onto the tubes with big vise grips and I can't budge them. I tried rotating them and rocking them back and forth and nothing. I'm not worried about destroying them since I am replacing them anyway, but I dont want to break them off with the bottom tab still loctited inside the head. Then trying to get that out seems like a good way to gouge up the tube seats. I've got the FSM but all it says and shows is the pic you posted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I heated mine up because I was scared of destroying them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My luck I'd melt the head! Or start a huge fire. Remember the sludge motor pics? Thats mine. Unless I fully degrease it first, it would look like an Iraqi oilfield on steroids. Really the only reason i am wanting to remove them is my valve spring compressor wont fit the spring retainer cause the tube is in the way. I'm just trying to get them torn down so i can take them to the machine shop for some magic massaging.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
Oh i'm sorry I thought you were asking about the seals.

this is what I did.
Thats what I did as well. Usually when they leak, they are loose and very easy to get out. Some grey RTV on the bottom and clean them up and pop them back in, good as new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts