DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
49,880 Posts
Test fit of the lower intake manifold to see if things line up?

To my knowledge, no one has ever attempted to use Pacifica engine parts as replacements or in a build.

The only ones I remember were people using Nitro Cams and the Crankshaft for 4.0L strokers. Those are the only parts. Guess you'll be the "Guinea Pig"? Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I did indeed match everything up after I first installed them. I also matched up the timing case, and everything fits. My only concern really is how the camshafts will ride in the heads. If the heads are installed on the wrong sides, then the camshafts may not ride the same which could cause problems. That all being said, the heads are identical to each other. So if I do end up switching them, all the holes will be in the same place as they are now. And there are no witness marks. I am going to take a breather, work on something elseand get fresh eyes on it tomorrow and decide from there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
90% of the top end installed. Had to stop because I noticed the wire casing for the knock sensor was damaged, now $50 lighter and I have to wait a week for the new one to arrive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Been over a week since I posted in this thread. I am still working on it, waiting on essential parts...well part. Crankshaft timing sprocket. So the build is basically at a stand still until it arrives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It always frustrates me when a project gets held up like that, hope your part comes in soon. Enjoy the weekend and thanks for the update!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sprocket arrived. Got the timing done, installed the left bank rocker arm assembly and installed the lower intake manifold. Need to head to NAPA and grab a few things, so will have the engine completed tomorrow. And yes, the fuel rail isn't installed, wanted to make sure that the lower intake fit on the new heads first.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Always enjoying reading and seeing these type of builds - thanks for the pictures and detailed process.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Agreed. Photos and detail make for a great read/ride along. Scooter, October meet?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I searched high and low in my rebuild kit for the camshaft thrust plate gaskets, NOT INCLUDED. I find this a little annoying as now I cannot seal up the heads on the engine. Ordered 2 and now have to wait a week for them to arrive. Waiting for parts on this engine rebuild has been the biggest headache throughout the process.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
If you're talking about the gaskets for the cam plates at the rear of the engine, if you order from Chrysler dealer, you'll get thin cardboard gaskets. I much prefer o-rings, but get Viton ones off of ebay so they last a long time without leaking. Bag of 10 for around $11 incl. shipping: viton o-ring 136 | eBay

One of the cover plate bolts goes into a thru hole rather than a blind hole, so be sure to put RTV on the threads of that one bolt so you don't get oil seepage.

The same o-ring is used on earlier years on the cover of the MTV actuator (another leak point using the factory o-ring).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I did buy a pack of those o-rings before I started the build. I did go out and check to see if they fit, and you are correct that they do. That being said, they would probably provide a good alternative if I do not like the look of the ones I bought, they were only $14 shipped. I much prefer to use OEM style gaskets/seals when and where I can. Although, half the time I do end up using alternate parts/seals because the OEM style ones turn out to be junk. So thanks for the tip, glad to have a backup plan.

Stay tuned, because not only do I need to finish the rebuild. But I will also cover cleaning the engine compartment. Removing and cleaning the fuel tank while replacing the pump, and a few other odds and ends on the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
And here she is, the 3.5, 99.8% rebuilt. Just needs the rear main seal and thrust plate gaskets installed. As you can see, parts got painted, new injectors were installed Yes, there is some purple in there, it's the wife's vehicle and she loves purple, it's all rattle can paint. And while the engine is rebuilt, there is still a lot to do.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Like I said, (unless something has changed) what you'll get from Chrysler will be thin, hard cardboard. There are grooves in either the head or the cover plates (I forget which) to contain the o-rings, with a little controlled compression of the rubbery goodness when the bolts are tightened. My idea of a perfect gasket. Viton is less prone to taking a compression set and later leaking than the standard buna-N o-ring material that came from the factory. YMMV.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,880 Posts
$14 for a couple of small paper gaskets only? I thought the paper gaskets required a new cover also? Are you getting both gaskets and covers?

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
$14 for a couple of small paper gaskets only? I thought the paper gaskets required a new cover also? Are you getting both gaskets and covers?
I think you're right. But you could use the old covers with the grooves - maybe flip them over so the grooves face out. Put a bunch of RTV on the cardboard to provide some sealing. I like controlled compression of squishy rubber in a groove for a gasket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
These thrust plates have no grooves. The part the gaskets sit on are smooth. There are circular indents, if that is what you mean. I can take pictures of them if you want. But if you are referring to a groove like what the water pump has, then no, there are no grooves. As for the gaskets themselves. Being "paper" it really depends on the thickness and how sturdy they are. The two I bought are Fel Pro gaskets, a brand I trust and have never had any problems with any of their gaskets, paper or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Yes - I was thinking deep groove like on the water pump:

I agree about Felpro - generally always as good or better than OEM.

I just like the concept of o-ring-in-the-groove - in my mind far superior to a flat cardboard gasket - as long as the o-ring material doesn't deteriorate or take a compression set over time like the factory ones obviously do because they eventually start leaking, hence the preference for Viton. But from what you describe, it's not as deep a recess as I envisioned, so maybe the plate doesn't go metal-to-metal for what I call a guaranteed "controlled crush" of the o-ring when the bolts are tightened - maybe more of a "hint" of a groove to help locate the o-ring. Yeah - if you could humor me and get a photo of what's on the thrust plate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Here is the pic. The painted side is the exterior while the raw side is the side facing the camshaft. As you can see, no grooves, more of a recessed circular area. Which is why that the o-rings, while might work in a pinch are not as good as the Fel Pro gaskets I bought.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Here is the pic. The painted side is the exterior while the raw side is the side facing the camshaft. As you can see, no grooves, more of a recessed circular area. Which is why that the o-rings, while might work in a pinch are not as good as the Fel Pro gaskets I bought.
View attachment 40816
I wonder if the earlier years had the groove.

Anyway - thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'll use spray adhesive to adhere the gasket to the thrust plate, then torque down the bolts, it should seal nicely and last quite some time. As I said, I am not too worried about it, just annoyed that I have to wait yet another week for parts.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts