DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I know these thrust plates are on the back side of the motor - but why not purple? LOL...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I still cannot find the purple can of paint, a little disappointed, lol. However, I have started on cleaning the engine bay. Cleaning off years of oil and road dirt is a bit of a pain in the ass. If you guys want to see pics of the engine bay, let me know. I wasn't going to post any, but if you want, I will. I've also got some rust repair on the hood and the driver's side fender.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I FOUND THE PURPLE CAN OF PAINT!!!

Anyways, rear main seal and flex plate installed, and everything torqued to spec. Engine is finally off the stand and on the hoist. As soon as I get those thrust plate gaskets, I will install the plates and re-install the engine. All that is left after that is to do a little rehab on the harness, install all the accessories and then prime the engine. But before it can be driven, I need to pull and clean the fuel tank, and install the new pump assembly. Still waiting on my radiotor isolators as well, who the hell knows when those willa rive, ordered them 3 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
16,698 Posts
You used new OEM bolts on the flex plate (for the applied threadlock paint), or used Loctite on the old bolts, right?

Also, when you install the engine, be sure to follow the FSM's procedure on tightening and torqueing the structural collar bolts so you don't build in stresses that could crack the oil pan.

You probably already know those things, but thought they were worth mentioning.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yes mother, loctite and I know the procedure for the collar, it will be the 3rd time I have removed and reinstalled it. lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Gaskets finally arrived. thrust plates installed. The engine is now ready to be installed, which I will start today. And no, I didn't repaint them purple.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The engine is installed. I've got 4 bolts in the bell housing, and the moter mounts installed, it is sitting under it's own weight. It's a little hot and muggy out this afternoon, so tomorrow morning I will go out, finish the install and torque everything down. Getting close.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have some very bad news. The Intrepid...is dead.

I went to tighten the driver side lower bell housing bolt and the tab on the block just completely snapped off, the block is useless. The bolt was going in nice and easy and then I heard a loud crack, checked it, and bam, broken block. There was no stress, nothing was pressing on anything, all other bolts went in smoothly with no issues, and I still had some space between the flex plate and torque converter. The only thing I can think of is that there were micro cracks in that area of the block, and the stress of torquing it down was just too much for it.

Feeling a little dejected and angry. All that time and money, wasted. So, this is the end of this thread, I was so damn close to finishing it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I sold her, wasn't going to drop another $500 + for a new block.. Got $400 for her, she's off to that big salvage yard in the sky. Probably could have parted her out and made more, but didn't feel like tearing her apart again and having the parts take up space. I've got some unused brand new in box parts I never got to use. Will probably sell them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. It's too bad that you had to junk it, I've never welded aluminum before but I'm guessing it wasn't worth trying?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts