DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently rebuilding the 3.5 out of my Wife's 02 Intrepid. The engine has been pulled and torn down. The block and crankshaft are in really good condition for a 300K car, the bearings are however a little worn. All measurements for the crankshaft and block are well within specs amazingly enough. The block has been cleaned and blown out, and some WD40 sprayed on it to minimize any rust that may occcur. The cylinder heads are an altogether different matter. They are totally smoked...camshafts, rockers and bearing are all pitted and grooved. You can totally tell that there was an oil blockage problem which caused carbon to build up which in turn caused there to be some heat buildup in the cylinder heads.

That all being said, I found an 06 Pacifica at my local salvage yard, and for $100 I cannibalized it's cylinder heads and will be using them instead. They look brand new by comparison. I'll post pictures later. The right bank looks a little more worn than the left bank, but that is mostly due to the Pacifica's 3.5 being transversely mounted as opposed to longitudinally mounted, and the right bank is up against the firewall which contains the head next to that cylinder head.

Since the 3.5 from the Pacifica is transversly mounted, that means that the block and valve covers are useless in an Intrepid, since they are built differently. But the cylinder heads themselves are a direct swap and will fit quite nicely on the Intrepid's block..

Even though the new cylinder heads are in good condition, I will be tearing them down, cleaning them and rebuilding them with new springs and valves, I will also be tearing down the rocker arm assembly and giving it a good clean. Nothing stays free of debris in a salvage yard, and even the smallest spec of dust can wreck a camshaft.

My next step is to rebuild and create the short block, with the addition of the oil pan and install it back into the vehicle. I have brand new pistons and rings that will be installed along with all new bearings. All that is left to do before installing the new parts in the block is to deglaze the cylinder walls and hone them.

As I said, I will post some pictures later on of my progress and so you can see the damage in the old cylinder heads. It isn't pretty.

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
Nice project!

There were later-design rocker assemblies that eliminated some startup noise issues in the LH 3.2/3.5 engines. Does the Pacifica have the later, improved design rockers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I am not sure. I haven't given them more that a cursory glance since I pulled them and made sure they were a direct swap. Once I get into them and tear them down, I will be able to tell you more. I couldn't get into them today because I was busy dropping an LS3 into a 63 Nova SS....yes, the massive 6.2L one.

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
What year Pacifica did the heads come out of?

To be honest, I am not sure. I haven't given them more that a cursory glance since I pulled them and made sure they were a direct swap. Once I get into them and tear them down, I will be able to tell you more. I couldn't get into them today because I was busy dropping an LS3 into a 63 Nova SS....yes, the massive 6.2L one.
That's a big'un.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided to also pull the crankshaft from the Pacifica. While the stock crankshaft is well within specs, on one journal there is the slightest hint of a scratch, I can barely feel it with my fingernail. And since the Pacifica's crankshaft and other parts are in such great condition, I thought I would just go ahead and use it. It's not going to cost me anything, I am giving the owner of the local salvage yard all the parts from my 3.5 that I am replacing.

Yes, I still have plans to post pictures, but every time I get to work, I forget. When I work, I just want to work and not worry about fussy other things like pictures of recordings. It's why you will never see me with a YT channel or instagram thingy.

·
Registered
14,851 Posts
Work away - keep us posted on the progress - but a teaser picture or two would be nice!

Hint-Hint!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are the old heads, pretty nasty. As you can see, one has a lot of build up. I believe that is a combination of heat and blocked oil passages. As you can see from the pic of the timing setup, there is a lot of oil there too. That is because oil was getting into the upper intake manifold from a bad PCV and dripping down onto the upper coolant hose and into the timing cover. What do you expect, it was a 310K vehicle, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
The top of the head and the valve cover on the driver's side generally get a lot dirtier due to the blow-by gases getting swept from the passenger side to the driver's side (PCV inlet) - so a lot more accumulated stuff by the time it gets to that side of the engine.

While PCV issues can cause weird oil leaks, if your intrepid has MTV, there's a large o-ring that seals the MTV actuator front cover that starts leaking - which leaves oil exactly where you are seeing it. You might replace that o-ring. You can get Viton o-rings on ebay - typically a bag of 10 for $7 incl. shipping. Same size o-ring seals the two camshaft covers at the rear of the engine. I forget the size of o-ring - it's a standard size. I'll try to search that info. in case that's what you need.

EDIT: O-ring size 136. Search "viton 136" on ebay.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,848 Posts
This is the bag I bought off Ebay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only the HO 3.5's have the MTV (as far as I know) mine just has the little plastic cover where the MTV goes. But the concept is the same for either. There was about a cup of oil in my intake, if you take a close look at the top of the timing housing right above the water pump, you can see the discoloration the oil made as it dripped out of the intake, onto the coolant hose and down into the timing housing. Then the belt flung it all over the place, I was pretty damn lucky the belt never jumped. As for replacing o-rings and seals. I do have a complete rebuild kit from DNJ plus a package of those o-rings and other o-rings I ordered just in case some were missing or un-serviceable from the kit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The top pic are of the new cylinder heads. As you can see they look brand new as compared to the old ones. There is also a pic of my rebuilt pistons, I cleaned the connecting rods in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with LA's Totally Awesome (which is also the cleaner I am using in my parts washer). The pics of my block are after the initial cleaning I did, but it will get another cleaning right before I start to reassemble the short block, as I am not satisified by how clean it got. The cylinder heads will be getting torn down and given a thourough cleaning, the springs and valves will be replaced, and I will disassemble the rocker arm assembly and clean it as well, then it will all get put back together.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,848 Posts
I would verify the part numbers on the driver side camshaft sprockets. They're the ones that take care of the timing. If they're not the same I would use your original one. The Pacifica sprocket might be different.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did check them. The only difference is that the ones from the Pacifica are keyed to the camshaft and have no play, while the original ones are fitted by a flat spot on the camshaft and had play, which is why when you timed my Intrepid it could fall between two dots. The Pacifica is more precise. All timing marks and camshaft lobes fall in the same place, so there should be no problems.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,848 Posts
Actually the slots in the sprocket are what's important. The number and their location needs to be identical between the two.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And they are. As I said, the only difference is the key. They are the same size, all the holes match up as does the timing mark. There is literally no difference between the two with the exception of how they key into their camshafts. Which is why I went beyond just matching the sprocket and made sure the camshaft lobes matched as well.

·
Registered
14,851 Posts

·
Registered
14,851 Posts
OOps - jumped ahead - seems you are not removing the cam sprockets from the cam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Second cleaning of the block. Still not happy with it, will give a 3rd go around, maybe more if I am still not satisified. An engine block can never be too clean. The other pic is of all the cleaned parts (some still need paint) that are ready for installation when I get around to that part.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts