DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay everyone I hope you can help sorry I am new to the group and had some things going on with my car. I replaced my water pump it was shot and I took the timing belt off. I think I moved the crank alittle and put everything out of wack it idles bumpy and when I try to take off fast it just kinda booges down it has no pick up it wont spin the tires anymore. anyways I just want to see if its the timing if it is do you know how to reset everything there are marks on the cam gears and on the head but there are two different ones on both and I couldnt find a mark for the crank can someone help me please its eating all my expensive gas up thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure what year you are working on but on my 2000 3.2 there is a mark on the crank gear. It is a small pointer on the back side of the gear. You line that up with a mark on the timing cover housing marked TDC. You'll find that above the crank gear, below the water pump.

There are two dimples in the top of each side of the housing to line up the cams. You put the mark on the cam between the two dimples when the crank is at TDC.

It can be a little tricky to get all the slop out of the belt. The best way is to put it around the crank first then the driver's side cam then tight down under the water pump pulley and up over the passenger side cam then over the tensioner. I had to do it a couple times to get all three marks lined up. Rotate the motor over through 2 revolutions and double check the timing after you think you have it correct.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Converted - thats what we did when we changed the engine and the timing belt on my 3.5L. The cranks had the dimples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts