DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm driving along earlier tonight when I see this gold Crown Vic next to me. It's got the windows tinted, but other than that no other exterior mods. So after trying to negotiate through other traffic, I pull up beside him. He gives it a little gas to make his nose jump forward (we're doing about 25 mph). I do the same....then, WHAM!! He just STOMPS THE LIVING **** OUT OF ME! He had me by about 2 or 3 car lengths for a good 5 seconds until I caught up (we're doing about 60 by now) and by then he's already slowing down.

So, off the line he wins, and i'm pretty sure he would've gotten me top speed wise also, but he never let me find out.

chuck
1993 3.5 - no mods yet!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
yea, those crown vics are very torquey, I think they had the mustang's 4.6 V8 and the police got the 5.4 V8 from the F-250. I do wonder how the new police intrepid stacks up against the current cop cars.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
New Intrepid police car's have similar stats as R/T's, not much better except in braking.

·
Registered
523 Posts
And the R/T will kick the crap out of the Chevy Impala cop cars! A friend who is a law enforcement officer told me that after going for a high speed jaunt in my Intrepid.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
95-TREP-3.5 said:
yea, those crown vics are very torquey, I think they had the mustang's 4.6 V8 and the police got the 5.4 V8 from the F-250. I do wonder how the new police intrepid stacks up against the current cop cars.
Not quite correct.

The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI) has a 4.6L V8 as does a regular CV. It is based on the 4.6L modular V8 that is found in many other FOMOCO products, but is not the Mustang version.

The CVPI version puts out 235hp and almost 300lb/ft of torque, and as you experienced, it launches the car quite well.

The difference between a CVPI and a regular CV is found only in suspension and heavy duty bits like cooling, alternator, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The police package is very slow for a cop car, 0-60 in about 10 secs (g-tech), my 93 intrepid 3.3 is a hair slower (10.5) shes gettin a little tired, the new Interceptor package will bum up the HP a bit so maybe they will be a bit quicker

LHSer is correct its a 4.6 in the police package currently

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I read somewhere that the Trep copcar had a better 0-100mph time (deemed most desirable for police work) than the CV, even though the CV had a better 0-60 time.

·
Registered
866 Posts
As the driver of a 2000 Grand Marquis, I'll chime in here.

The 2001 and newer Vics and Marquis have an improved head design that gives the single exhaust cars 225 HP and just about 300 ft-lb of torque. The dual exhaust cars (performance and handling package and police interceptor package) have 235 HP and also have the 3.55 rear end gear. The performance+handling packs are the ones with the nicer cross-lace wheels, and dual exhaust. The regular ones, like mine, have 2.73 rear end gears. Prior to 2001, the normal cars had 200 HP and the dual exhaust cars had 215.

Are they fast? Not enough to be cop cars, in my honest opinion. The 4.6, though pretty advanced and maintenance free, is a small motor for a car that weighs just a hair under 4000 lbs. (3998 lbs, I do believe) The torque helps them move off the line nice, and just being an overhead-cam V8 helps them have a good top end. The mid-range sucks! However, I swear I've dented my floor from mashing the throttle (LOVE hearing the V8!!) on a regular basis, and it continues to get 26 mpg for me. Top speed on a 2001+ cop car? It's supposed to be 139 mph. They have the aerodynamics of a barn door, so the top speed is hindered by that. The 5.4 liter would not even fit in one, because it is too tall....you'd need about a 4" cowl induction hood, which would look silly. It is quite easy to put the V-10 from the trucks in it though......hmmmm

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I think I saw an article in MM&FF magazine a while ago about a guy with a crown vic who stuffed in the 6.8 V10 monster from the F-350. I think the dude was Mr. Bob Bondurant of Bondurant driving school somewhere in I think arizona. He was either the owner or it was driven on his track or something like that. Either way, killer ride, cant find the article though.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Bonduraunt actually has a fleet of crown vics that have been "cobra-ized" They have the DOHC cobra 4.6, the 5spd manual, and the wheels and tires. They are for the instructors use only though, no students. They're probably kinda hard to handle, weighing so much and having so much power, combined with the manual tranny, for anyone but a real pro to do safely.

There have also been articles like you mentioned, 3.5, where the V-10 was stuffed in. It requires some wiring trickery, moving the battery to the trunk, and other less difficult modifications to make it work. I say the car is already heavy enough. I'd just go with the cobra motor w/ a supercharger in my Grand Marquis....if I had the time and money.

Sorry for turning this into a Ford topic!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i read an article in popular mechanics where Ford is going to start putting the V-10 in their police interceptors because the 4.6 isn't fast enough, even modded out. they were bitching about that car not being as fast as the old LT1 caprices and all Ford could come up with was dropping in the truck V-10.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I personally don't think the V-10 is the way to go, because the car does not need all that torque. The DOHC4.6 would make it a true 300 horse car, with plenty of torque, and not add all that weight to the nose like the V-10 would. Especially where they make the Marauder now, with that motor, it could be done across the line very easily. Then, the Chevy guys would no longer have the claim to the fastest police sedan ever made. (top speed of the 94-96 9C-1 topped out at 141 or 142 mph)

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I know, they would never do it cause then they have to worry about reliability and efficiency, still that kenny brown package is a serious car. I wonder if DC will ever put the 4.7 V8 in the police package. and.........I wonder how much a police intrepid would cost to the average consumer, supposing you could buy it, obviously without the police equipment, although............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts