DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the 3.5L in the Magnum does in the 1/4 mile? I know we used to talk alot about how if they put a better tranny in the Intrepid R/T it would be alot faster, so I'm just curious how fast the Magnum is with the 3.5L in it. My old Intrepid R/T's fastest 1/4 mile was around a 15.2 seconds, can the Magnum run in the 14's?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
the 3.5 in the magnum runs about 7.8 to 60, but don't forget...the trans in the V6 magnum is the same as in the intrepid, just RWD oriented...no 5 speed auto in there yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
bboucher said:
Anyone know what the 3.5L in the Magnum does in the 1/4 mile? I know we used to talk alot about how if they put a better tranny in the Intrepid R/T it would be alot faster, so I'm just curious how fast the Magnum is with the 3.5L in it. My old Intrepid R/T's fastest 1/4 mile was around a 15.2 seconds, can the Magnum run in the 14's?
Your car did low 15's with just intake mod??? That's pretty good for an LH. I doubt an LX w/ 3.5 would be anywhere close.

The Hemi dyno between 310 and 320, so it's some what underrated. The 3.5 dyno between 170 - 180. It's much slower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize that they were still using the same tranny in the new platform. Why not offer the 5-speed auto with the 3.5? Seems like it would make the car alot faster.

I did run the 15.2 with just the intake. I miss my old Intrepid when I wanna go fast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
bboucher said:
I didn't realize that they were still using the same tranny in the new platform. Why not offer the 5-speed auto with the 3.5? Seems like it would make the car alot faster.
Yes you can have 5 speed auto in a 3.5. Just to buy the car with the all whell drive system and the V6 come with a 5 speed tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
Hmm, someone needs to put that on a dyno. I want to know if the 3.5 is overrated (175 fwhp), or if the Ultradrive is terribly inefficient, or maybe both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,052 Posts
RJ said:
Hmm, someone needs to put that on a dyno. I want to know if the 3.5 is overrated (175 fwhp), or if the Ultradrive is terribly inefficient, or maybe both.
There is one other thing to consider here in all of this "wasted" or "lost" horsepower debate. 99% of the time that you get your car "Dynoed" it is done on a Dyno Jet machine. They do not ACTUALY measure HP. They measure Angular acceleration and do their math conversions.

When I had my car done on a Dyno Jet (twice) I got 185 and 193 as the HP figures at the wheels. When I use a trap speed to weight calculator my HP figures up to be 225 HP at the wheels. No real moral here but just wanted to point out that there are different ways of calculating HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Why not get a 5.7 HEMI?

You can get the autostick in the R/T SXT models with AWD... I really like the Magnum and 300 C, but I am dissapointed to see the new 06 Charger has the 5.7 with only a 10HP boost, due to a new intake and exhaust... plus its four-door with no optinal two-door... I would rather own the new Ford GT... but in 07 a Cobra comes out, so I will wait and see... I was thinking of getting a Midnight blue Magnum R/T AWD and putting ghost flames on the long body, getting the Mopar Intake and a flowmaster... but at 35,660 it a expensive car...

for now I will just enjoy driving my 97 Intrepid Sport with 3.5 autostick...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Intrepidman96 said:
You can get the autostick in the R/T SXT models with AWD... I really like the Magnum and 300 C, but I am dissapointed to see the new 06 Charger has the 5.7 with only a 10HP boost, due to a new intake and exhaust... plus its four-door with no optinal two-door... I would rather own the new Ford GT... but in 07 a Cobra comes out, so I will wait and see... I was thinking of getting a Midnight blue Magnum R/T AWD and putting ghost flames on the long body, getting the Mopar Intake and a flowmaster... but at 35,660 it a expensive car...

for now I will just enjoy driving my 97 Intrepid Sport with 3.5 autostick...
well what the hell do you want? A 4 door car that can carry people, or a 2 door supercar wannabe? Comparing the Charger and Ford GT is absolutely ridiculous. You think the Magnum R/T will be expensive the way you want it, wait until you see the price on the new cobra.

BTW: the 10 hp boost is only on the Daytona Charger...and the 340 HP the regular Hemi puts out is still more powerful than the 383 Big Block that was put in them in the muscle car days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Well my dream car would be a 1969 Charger R/T with a 426 HEMI. I just thought the NEW Charger would be more retro kind of like the new GT with the grill and such... It look revamped and unlike the old Chargers. Who knows maybe the new Cobra will disapoint me as with the 07 Chevy Camaro (in which I wish they would bring back either round SS old muscle lights or the 80s box lights... for the front end)

I recently found out about the SRT-8 300... Any chance they will make a 6.1 HEMI Magnum? Im debating whether I want the young look in the MAGNUM or the older Bently look in the 300... but the 6.1 is tempting...

The NEW charger is not a bad car, just not for me... I would rather own the Crossfire Roadster before owning a 06 Charger, as for the 69 DEFINATLY!

Ryan

PS Only the Daytona Limited will have the 10 HP boost? What makes the R/T diffrent then? I only read up on it recently...

I am definatly a DalmierChysler/Dodge guy as I have owned a 96 ES Trep and now a 97 Sport Trep and I like thier new concepts...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Intrepidman96 said:
Well my dream car would be a 1969 Charger R/T with a 426 HEMI. I just thought the NEW Charger would be more retro kind of like the new GT with the grill and such... It look revamped and unlike the old Chargers. Who knows maybe the new Cobra will disapoint me as with the 07 Chevy Camaro (in which I wish they would bring back either round SS old muscle lights or the 80s box lights... for the front end)

I recently found out about the SRT-8 300... Any chance they will make a 6.1 HEMI Magnum? Im debating whether I want the young look in the MAGNUM or the older Bently look in the 300... but the 6.1 is tempting...

The NEW charger is not a bad car, just not for me... I would rather own the Crossfire Roadster before owning a 06 Charger, as for the 69 DEFINATLY!

Ryan

PS Only the Daytona Limited will have the 10 HP boost? What makes the R/T diffrent then? I only read up on it recently...

I am definatly a DalmierChysler/Dodge guy as I have owned a 96 ES Trep and now a 97 Sport Trep and I like thier new concepts...
1) when companies start making cars look like they already did, you know they have run out of ideas.

2)The magnum srt-8 was introduced a few months ago, with the same 6.1L Hemi

3)The Charger R/T is different because it has the Hemi...the base chargers have the 3.5L. Nothing was supposed to be different..different ends up costing more, and more cost is not something they want on what needs to be their money making car, like the LH was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I knew it would not look exaclty the same as it has to be aerodynamic, but I was hopeing a litlle retro like a flsh from the past...

Thanks for the info I will have to look at the Magnum SRT-8 and they dont offer the SRT-8 in AWD do they?

The Magnum and 300 replaced the Intrepid in 04... so now they are trying to make the Charger the new LH seller, which makes cents because the Magnum and 300 are like station wagons (long and bold...) and the cost is greater...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Intrepidman96 said:
I knew it would not look exaclty the same as it has to be aerodynamic, but I was hopeing a litlle retro like a flsh from the past...

Thanks for the info I will have to look at the Magnum SRT-8 and they dont offer the SRT-8 in AWD do they?

The Magnum and 300 replaced the Intrepid in 04... so now they are trying to make the Charger the new LH seller, which makes cents because the Magnum and 300 are like station wagons (long and bold...) and the cost is greater...
The SRT-8 is supposed to be AWD at some time too...but I'm not sure if they are still planning on that. The Charger has to be made for money because Dodge currently is without a Full Size Sedan. All it has is a station wagon, and the Chrysler 300 is a bit more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
The Small Size Neon is still selling pretty well and the SRT4... Dam thats a quick lil car! Yes, they do need a Full Size as there trucks and Magum/300 arew pricy...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top