DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a splitting head on the DOHC 3.5L? I have one and my spark plug is getting sucked into the head, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hmm.. splitting head? uhh.. never heard of that situation. and. i know this is a trivial matter.. but our 3.5's are considered SOHC, due to the fact of one cam per bank of cylenders.
the 2.7L 'treps are DOHC, with 4 cams total in the engine. (yikes!)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What year intrepid u got? I thought all the 3.5's are SOHC

pimped, can u explain?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Two cams total is what he is confused about. All 3.5's are SOHC end of story.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
94IntrepidES said:
Two cams total is what he is confused about.
As compared to the DOHC which has two cams per bank of cylinders.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
anyway.. what is the splitting thing plug sucker that you were talking about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am done with the DOHC conversation. I am still trying to found out how the head can split around the spark plug and suck a plug into the head.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I have never heard of that... if that is the case.. there would be no compression on that cylender, and the car would run VERY rough. also.. it would start getting VERY noisy because the plug would be contacting the piston, and make a very loud rapping noise.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would expect the same as you mentioned but, the runs great and there is not any out of the ordinary pings, bangs, pops, tics, etc, uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
so whats the problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is my car has a CRACKED HEAD! I was asking if anybody has heard of this type of problem with the 3.5. I didn't ask the question to get into a pissing contest. :crazy:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm confused. If you have a cracked head, shouldn't you experience quite a few problems that are out of the ordinary? If you aren't experiencing any issues out of the ordinary, is it really a cracked head? If you see an actual crack in the head, then I would think there would be some major problems... right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right. Once I found the problem I would expect a world of problems that the car is not having. Just as you, I don't understand. I am just going to do a top end rebuild on the damn thing. I will let ya'll know what I find just in case anybody else comes up with anything like what mine did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might just have a bad casting or something. When you look down the hole where the plug is there is a crack where the haed is splitting and the plug is making it's way into the head. There is only about a 1/4 inch or less of the plug accessable. This really sucks. The only reason I am saying something is so that other people with the 3.5 or other dodge ohc designs can watch for this possible problem. Seeing how the only other info I have founYad here is little kid tricks and some speaker upgrades, whoopy. Ya'll have a nice day.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
sorry we can't help ya anymore than we are.

I have another suggestion. spart plug problems like that.. (where it is loose, moving around and other things) can happen if the spark plug threads are stripped in the head. check to see if you get aluminum out with the spark plug next time. if you do, maybe you could fix the problem by tapping the hole and putting a helicoil replacement in to fix the stripped threads. many parts stores have the information and tools on how to fix something along those lines.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
ok.. i didnt see you last post. c'mon give us a break. what the hell is there to do to the 3.5's? a splitting head problem doesn't seem very common at all, and overall, aside from the water pump, the 3.5L is a VERY reliable engine. with good oil changes and water pump replacements... the engines can go for 200K + without needing rings/valvejobs/valve guides/bearings/oilpumps... all problems that fords and GM cars have in this same car class.
most of the people here are looking for mods that will increase hp and driveability WITHOUT reducing that exellent reliablilty, because for most people, the 'trep is a daily driver.
and its a good one at that ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, my Trep is a daily driver also and a fast one at that. I apologize if I offended anybody with my last thread. I enjoy driving my Trep and this is the only CAR I actually like to drive. I am a truck person and I like to drive fast and to the limits of any car or truck. The idea of helicoil has been thought of and I would do that if the spark plug was removable, thnx...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts