DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 3.5L engine in the 300M's the same as the 3.5L in the Intrepid R/T's? If so, why does the 300M produce more hp? Freer flowing exhaust perhaps?

·
Registered
336 Posts
They are the same exact engine. Some people will claim the difference in HP is all in the octane of gas required, but it's in the programming of the computer mostly which is why the 300M requires 92 octane the intrepid doesn't.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sorry to Disagree with bboucher but the 300M`s dont take 92 Octane. I just check all the Chrysler Add books 1998 to 2002 the all say WHEN USEING MIDGRADE FUEL ,THIS ENGINE WILL OPERATE SAFELY AND SATISFACTOILY ON REGULAR UNLEADED FUEL which is 89 Octane. The 2000 R/T`s and the 300Ms with the performance handling PKG have the same part number for high speed computer which means no limiter. The stock 300M`s have the a limiter just like the rest of the LH cars. In the 2001 and newer they list different computer for the R/T`s and 300M. When i work at the Chrysler last spring i was going to swap computers but they listed the same part number for both. Why in the 2001 they changed them i dont know and my parts boss didnt know either.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Computers are the same, the program is different. The 300m listens to the knock sensor at wide open throttle thus allowing for more spark advance when running premimum fuel.
The R/T ignores the knock sensor at WOT and thus releys on a premapped advance curve set for 89 octane.
Thus the HP difference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by GR8WHT:
Computers are the same, the program is different. The 300m listens to the knock sensor at wide open throttle thus allowing for more spark advance when running premimum fuel.
The R/T ignores the knock sensor at WOT and thus releys on a premapped advance curve set for 89 octane.
Thus the HP difference.
I knew someone could say it better than me!

·
Registered
558 Posts
The 300M can use all grades of fuel, whichever the driver prefers.

However, if you want to realize the full potential of the engine and operate with the 253 HP, you'd better use mid or premium grade fuel. You may drive on regular however you will not appreciate the full potential of the engine or the maximum HP.
And the Intrepid RT should only be run on regular or mid grade gas, according to the Canadian operators manual. It suggests that high grade may cause engine problems.

You may bargain for more than what its worth by swapping computers. Screw around and you may end up gettin' screwed yourself. And it won't feel good either!

Danny
Capitalcity R/T
01 Black Chrysler Intrepid R/T
No Mods...No Problems

·
Registered
328 Posts
Unfortunatly you can't swap in a 300M computer. The 300m has the sentry key security system standard and the R/T does not (for the 2000 model year that is) So you would have to find a 300m computer and a dealer willing to override the sentry pass key system on it. (unlikely).
Also, as soon as the dealer connects to the car, the Body Computer will report it as an R/T not a 300M and the only software it will allow to load is the R/T code, thus negating the HP gains.

Bummer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts