DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out there's a 234HP version of the 3.5L engine (I haven't been looking at 2nd gen's for awhile)

What's the diff between the 244hp H.O. 3.5L and the 234hp 3.5L? different ECU or different internals?

Is it a more advanced 1st gen 3.5L engine?

I'm interested in an engine swap, or at least using some internals to make my 1st gen 3.5L stronger. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Same engine just rated using different grade of fuel. Even the 300M is the same just the Intrepid Computer does not fully adjust for premium fuel. Only mid and reg adjustments.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sucks, I wonder if the 234HP engine's hp will increase when using premium fuel like the 244HP engine does....

Ah screw it, I'm not doing the research, no one seems to believe me about the 244Hp engine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Doesn't the 244hp 3.5 in the R/T use regular fuel too? It's the 300m that uses the premium fuel, right? So there must be something downgraded in the 234hp version of the 3.5 since they are suppose to achieve their advertised numbers with the lower grade fuel.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Black94ES said:
Ah screw it, I'm not doing the research, no one seems to believe me about the 244Hp engine.
What the hell do you mean noone believes you about the 244hp engine?

The 244hp engine is the 3.5L HO in the 2002 R/T. The 234hp engine is the 3.5L in the 2002 ES. I'm not sure what they did to get different hp ratings from the two though. Maybe a camshaft difference of something?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i agree with LHSer, money says that all the internals are identical. it'd cost too much to produce different cams for the same engine.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the guy that works at the plant can help us here.

·
Registered
602 Posts
From what I have been told they are identical, the R/T get's the extra HP from performance tuning in the ECU/PCM. The 300M's 255HP rating is also a result of this tuning I believe. The 300M's 3.5LHO is also an identical engine.

3.5L ES 234HP (Less Performance Tuning)
3.5L High Output R/T 242/244HP (More Performance Tuning)
3.5L High Output 300M 250/255HP (Even More Performance Tuning)

Chrysler does state that the 300M get's it's HP rating at peak with premium fuel. From my knowledge that would also indicate performance tuning as well since performance tuning typically takes better to premium fuel.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So if you want more HP, just swap the ECU from the 300M into the 3.5 HO Intrepid R/T engine. The 300M engine probably gets a bit more horsepower from more aggressive timing, which is why it needs premium fuel. And yes, if you swapped the ECU from the 300m, you would need to use premium fuel too...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cant just swap computers from a 300M, OTTO has already said it won't work. It reads stuff from the body computer and it will know it's not in a 300M and will not work.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Brad , if your RT has Sentry Key( the key with the chip and silver end) you can add the 300M engine controller . Now if you have the low output 3.5 in the ES this cant be done as there are parts that only the H.O engine ( RT,300M and Concorde Limited) use. As all 300's get sentry key if your Trep did not have this and you put the 300 computer in the car would look for the key code ,not see it and shut down.

·
Registered
493 Posts
ottowrkr said:
Brad , if your RT has Sentry Key( the key with the chip and silver end) you can add the 300M engine controller . Now if you have the low output 3.5 in the ES this cant be done as there are parts that only the H.O engine ( RT,300M and Concorde Limited) use. As all 300's get sentry key if your Trep did not have this and you put the 300 computer in the car would look for the key code ,not see it and shut down.
Otto:

Does this mean I can get the Centry key for my 01 R/T or can it only be cars that came from the factory with it?

Hope all is well.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
yes . you can add the sentry key to your car 01 RT . You just need to make sure the wire for the reciever is hanging inside the cover around the steering coulmn behind the steering wheel. You will have to pop that cover off and look under to see if the wire is there. The electrical connection should be wraped in foam so it will not rattle against the lower cover. If the wire is present then just add the coulmn reicever and 300M computer and program the Sentry keys.
If you have sentry key from the factory ,then all you need to do is get the 300M engine computer.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In my little 3.2, I was behind a 2002/2002 ES I could it had a 3.5 in it, had to give it more gas then normal to keep up especially when pulling away from a dead stop.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The connection

This is the connection on the steering coulmn you need to add the the sentry key and 300M controller click here to see

·
Registered
973 Posts
Soooo - if you do all of that, add the Sentry thing, and the 300M controller, do you get the "missing" 10 HP? The cost of all of that, since I don't have that "smart" key thing, may be too much to spend to get 10HP anyway. And the 300M controller won't work witout it, right?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
sentry key

yes Don ,you would get the extea H.P . but you have to use high octane also to get the higher numbers. Your RT is 01 correct , then you should have that wire on your steering coulmn . You have to remove the cover around the coulmn just behind the steering wheel to see this wire.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
btc909 said:
In my little 3.2, I was behind a 2002/2002 ES I could it had a 3.5 in it, had to give it more gas then normal to keep up especially when pulling away from a dead stop.
The 2002 ES has a 234hp version of the 3.5L engine.

The 2002 R/T has the 244hp version of the 3.5L engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts