DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok shoot me if this is a double post/question but i couldnt find anything on searches. Its about the 2005,2006 3.5l engines. What IF ANYTHING is the same or compatible with the 2002-2004 3.5l?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Would be sweet if the tranny/driveline from a Charger/Magnum/300 would fit our cars.......would make a RWD conversion a peice of cake :p

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
It'd be pretty tough to convert, the electrical and computer systems are completely different for the LX V-6's.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I looked under the hood....

It appears that the basic block is the same, it sure looked identical to mine. The shape and front cover looked identical.

The intake plenum and throttle system is TOTALLY different.

The plenum is a different shape and has electronic throttle control. In my opinion, the old plenum was nicer becayse it didn't block access to the spark plugs, the new plenum does! (WTF!?!)

The engines are STILL rated at 250hp, so there is probably not a whole lot of changes. The heads are still 4v/cyl SOHC heads, same all aluminum construction, etc.

The bore and stroke are the same at 3.78 X 3.19, but the 2006 engines have a compression ratio of 10.1:1 instead of 9.9:1 in the LH cars. So the pistons are probably different. It is possible that the heads got shaved or something else as well, but pistons require less retooling.

Both engines have 250HP at 6400 RPMs. Both engines have 250 lb-ft of torque, but the LH engine's torque peak is at 3900 RPM while the new one has it's torque peak at 3800RPMs. I think they are trying to offset some of the extra weight with the lowering of the torque curve.

The computer system is TOTALLY different. DCX changed from the PCI bus to the new CAN bus with the new cars.

Tranny swaps are NOT practical, even after you convert to RWD! Other mechanical items may be different. You would also need the ETC system and ALL the electronic modules, including the BCM, CAB, PCM and instrument cluster! You would have to rewire 95% of the car. The radio would even be affected if you had steeing wheel controls!

BTW: all aluminum engines are a good thing! The engine block acts like a big heatsink and that kept me from boiling over on a trip when my waterpump pulley slipped on the timing belt! Since there are no dissimilar material mating surfaces, the engine tends to hold headgaskets better too.

The fact that it's still 250HP is disturbing.... The new Charger is heavier than my trep.... A LOT heavier! The Charger SXT wieghs in at 3820 pounds! My 2002 ES is only 3487 pounds. The drag coefficient for the Intrepid is .30, the Charger is .33, so guess which is faster. :D Yup, even with just 234HP, I routinely have fun with SXT chargers and Magnums. They don't like it one bit!

That's why they brought out the Hemi, the 3.5 Charger is getting 0-60 times of 8.9 seconds! 6.0 seconds with the 5.7 Hemi is more like it!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
hardwareguy said:
The fact that it's still 250HP is disturbing.... The new Charger is heavier than my trep.... A LOT heavier! The Charger SXT wieghs in at 3820 pounds! My 2002 ES is only 3487 pounds. The drag coefficient for the Intrepid is .30, the Charger is .33, so guess which is faster. :D Yup, even with just 234HP, I routinely have fun with SXT chargers and Magnums. They don't like it one bit!

That's why they brought out the Hemi, the 3.5 Charger is getting 0-60 times of 8.9 seconds! 6.0 seconds with the 5.7 Hemi is more like it!
Is the V6 300 truely slower than the front wheel drive 3.5L?
I don't want to draw too many conclusions from a small drag race but I had an old man stay door to door with my Tbird and it's very similar to my LHS in acceleration.

I used the above theory to take his lane during a 2 lane into 1 scenario. Did he surprise me!

I also thought I remember reading 15 second quarters for the 6 cylinder 300.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
jfsram said:
Is the V6 300 truely slower than the front wheel drive 3.5L?
I don't want to draw too many conclusions from a small drag race but I had an old man stay door to door with my Tbird and it's very similar to my LHS in acceleration.

I used the above theory to take his lane during a 2 lane into 1 scenario. Did he surprise me!

I also thought I remember reading 15 second quarters for the 6 cylinder 300.
Never driven one myself, but numbers I've seen were all over the place. the 0-60 times have been listed at anything from 7.8 to 9.0 seconds.

My guess is that they should be slower, unless it's a new one with the 5-spd auto. The 3.5 don't have enough power to cause any problems in FWD; it's not like you're spinning all the way to redline or anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts