DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading my haynes repair manual and its telling me that my 3.5L v6 is a dohc is this true? or is this only on some 3.5L?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
SOHC dude.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in the book it's showing 2 cam gears witch would mean it's dohc correct? the 3.3L might be sohc? reminder this is a 1st gen (97')

·
Woober Goobers!
50,362 Posts
The first gen 3.5L is a DOHC engine. If I remember correctly..doesn't the badge on the front door say something like 3.5L 24V DOHC? Might be wrong about the DOHC..but I do remember the 3.5L 24V is on there. You won't have 24 valves on a SOHC V6..there would be only 12!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all my 3.5L has is 3.5L 24 Valve on the side of the door. but i was looking at my repair manual i bought the other day and i started seeing cam gears, and it was talking about the cam shafts being up by the heads so i started wondering if it was not a dohc. i guess it is, witch is cool thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eh I am 99.9% sure that it is SOHC.

Just checked wiki

"This 3.5 L (3518 cc) engine is a bored-out (to 96 mm) version of the 3.3, but with the important addition of overhead cams. The 3.5 L version has an odd intake arrangement with two separate manifolds and throttle bodies connected with a crossover valve. This provides better low- and midrange torque. Another notable feature is that the four valves per cylinder are driven by a single overhead camshaft as opposed to the conventional DOHC arrangement for multivalve engines.

The 3.5 was redone in aluminum in 1999 as the EGJ. This engine was also modified for longitudinal placement in rear wheel drive vehicles, first for the Prowler and later for the LX cars. At the debut in 1993, this engine produced 214 hp (160 kW) and 221 ft.lbf (300 Nm). Output as of 2004 is 234 hp (174 kW) at 6000 rpm with 241 ft.lbf (327 Nm) of torque at 4400 RPM. The EGJ is built in Trenton, MI.

The high-output EGG is built in Kenosha, WI. Output is 255 hp (190 kW) at 6500 RPM with 250 ft.lbf (339 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm."

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Ronbo said:
The first gen 3.5L is a DOHC engine. If I remember correctly..doesn't the badge on the front door say something like 3.5L 24V DOHC? Might be wrong about the DOHC..but I do remember the 3.5L 24V is on there. You won't have 24 valves on a SOHC V6..there would be only 12!

For sure, our 3.5L both gens are SOHC, refering to that one (single)camshaft in each cylinder head, spinning the rockers on the four valves per cylinder. :grinyes:

Only the 2.7L has two cams in each cylinder head.(total of four)

the first gen door says 3.5L 24 valve.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
k-nash said:
For sure, our 3.5L both gens are SOHC, refering to that one (single)camshaft in each cylinder head, spinning the rockers on the four valves per cylinder. :grinyes:

Only the 2.7L has two cams in each cylinder head.(total of four)

the first gen door says 3.5L 24 valve.

Yup. The SOHC has one cam per bank (side) for a total of two. If it was a DOHC, than there would be two cams per bank (side) for a total of four.

·
Registered
299 Posts
wait what? i have two cams in my first gen 3.5l sport....i have been told by more then a few people its DOHC..... im confused...i think the manual is right...i own one as well

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
DOHC refers to two cams per bank...you could have 4 banks and with only one cam on each head it's still SOHC...all 3.5's are SOHC the 2.7 is the only DOHC of the bunch. SOrry!

·
Registered
891 Posts
All you have to do is pop your hood and look at the timing assembly cover on the front of the engine and you can see exactly where the single cam wheels are at the front of the heads because it is of course shaped around them. People always slip and say 24 valve dual overhead cams because as far as I know all Japanese cars will have two cams per head if there are more then two valves per cylinder. The DC intrepid on the other hand just used one cam with four rockers per cylinder to open and close the valves.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yes but some people think that One cam over head X two heads = two over head cams lol...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Teamhex2002 said:
wait what? i have two cams in my first gen 3.5l sport....i have been told by more then a few people its DOHC..... im confused...i think the manual is right...i own one as well
Yes, your engine does indeed have two cams. One is above the left bank and one is above the right bank. But it is a SOHC engine. If your engine had four cams, two above the left bank and two above the right bank, than you would have a DOHC.

I was confused by the whole SOHC/DOHC thing at one time too. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
24vsleeper said:
All you have to do is pop your hood and look at the timing assembly cover on the front of the engine and you can see exactly where the single cam wheels are at the front of the heads because it is of course shaped around them. People always slip and say 24 valve dual overhead cams because as far as I know all Japanese cars will have two cams per head if there are more then two valves per cylinder. The DC intrepid on the other hand just used one cam with four rockers per cylinder to open and close the valves.
thats what people say..they say oo u have 24v so urs is probally dohc. ok well thax for clearing that up

·
Banned
439 Posts
Kunzinator said:
This engine was also modified for longitudinal placement in rear wheel drive vehicles, first for the Prowler and later for the LX cars.
or... first with the 1993 intrepid??
am i missing something here?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,362 Posts
I stand/sit corrected...by several people. It's been a long time since I had a 1st gen 3.5L and never worked on it!! At least I got the OHC part right! Gives you an idea of the vast pool of knowledge available on here. Way to go guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts