DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the forum and hoping someone can answer a question I have.
I have a 2002 Intrepid SXT. The car is in great shape but the engine has a knock. The engine is a 3.5 HO vin code G. I recently purchased a 2002 out of a 300M with a vin code K. I was wondering what the differences are? I read there is also a vin V? What the hell is that? I’ve searched the internet and could not find an answer. I’ve come to the experts.
Thanks!

:thankyou:

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
yes that motor is a direct swap replacement.....any motor 3.2 or 3.5 from 02-04 will work.

Engine G = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 Valve SOHC (MPI) K = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 valve (MPI) M = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 valve SOHC R = 2.7L V6 Cyl 24 Valve DOHC (MPI) V = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 Valve SOHC

The 3.5 L engine was redone entirely of aluminum in 1999 as the EGG high output, producing 247–253 hp (190 kW) at 6500 rpm with 250 ft·lbf (339 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm. Output from 2002–2004 for the standard output EGJ is 234 hp (174 kW) at 6000 rpm with 241 ft·lbf (327 Nm) of torque at 4400 rpm. Also for 2002–2004, the EGK 3.5 L Special was built exclusively for the 300M Special, producing 255 hp and 258 ft·lbf.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I always thought that K meant it was not high output (i.e. different intake plenum - no MTV). But if it is from a 300m, I don't see how that could be the case...

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
G = 3.5L 6 cyl. 24V (EGG)

V = 3.5L 6 cyl. 24V SOHC Magnum (EGC)

From the 2003 parts catalog. 2002 should be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

I still don't understand what is the difference between the G and K? They look identical except for the badge on the top.
Both appear to be SOHC (MPI). Could it be electronics? Anything internnal?
G = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 Valve SOHC (MPI)
K = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 valve (MPI)

Just want to make sure it runs the same as it did before the knock and I won't have any wacky problems when installed and running.

Thanks again!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Here's the listing from the 2002 parts catalog for VIN decoding:

V = 3.5L 6 cyl. 24V SOHC Magnum (EGC)
M = 3.5L 6 Cyl. 24V (EGJ)
K = 3.5L HO 6 Cyl. 24V MPI (EGK)
R = 2.7L 6 cyl. DOHC FF (EER)
G = 3.5L 6 cyl. 24V (EGG)

I know the G(EGG) was in my 2002 R/[email protected]? The K(EGK) is what's in my 2002 300m Special @255hp. The V(EGC) I'm not sure of. Maybe the standard 300m engine?

The difference is in the PCM programming not engine mechanical parts. The G and K engines are both HO(High Output) and have the same MTV and SR valves on the Intake manifold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info! Thanks.

One last question from the new, inexperienced guy. Where is the PCM located and does this have to be changed? What's the result of running with the current PCM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
It's on the drivers side, in the engine bay bellow the fuse block. You need to re-use your current setup for less hassle.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yep reuse the ecu.

As far as the VIN stuff is concerned, check the two engines to make sure they are both high output (special = high output so no worries there). If the new engine is NOT high output (shouldn't be the case), then swap the intake plenum to make it high output.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
R/T and SXT both had HO engines also. He just needs to do the engine swap...no other changes.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,600 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply guys!

I still don't understand what is the difference between the G and K? They look identical except for the badge on the top.
Both appear to be SOHC (MPI). Could it be electronics? Anything internnal?
G = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 Valve SOHC (MPI)
K = 3.5L V6 Cyl 24 valve (MPI)

Just want to make sure it runs the same as it did before the knock and I won't have any wacky problems when installed and running.

Thanks again!
Simply put, its all in the PCM. Engines are identical. No need to change the PCM either, either engine will run fine on either PCM.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I Know this is Old &/Or may sound stupid, but can't go wrong for asking.
So My Trep have been laying for quite some years now, I bought head gaskets, Oil pan gaskets and Rebuild Kits along with Tools I may need to finally Attempt the Repair Myself after soaking up a lot of info/knowledge from so many Site and forums, Hope I get it right.
But I still want to Try a 3.5L Swap, So I wondered Will A 3.5L Engine from a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica Or Town And Country Fit in A 2001 Intrepid SE (2.7L) VIN K.
What/Will Any Model Year Chrysler Town & Country Engine Fit a 2001 Trep SE?
I Found Couple Of Really Cheap Ones!! $400-$900 Ones, I'm Talking For A whole Car!!.
I hope all these Platform and V, K, G Code Stuff don't Affect It.
Just Trying to See If I Can make it work on Budget.
Please Help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about a swap from a 1995 3.5 F-code to a 2003 3.5 G-Code

Hey Guys, It seems you guys are very knowledgable and I'm new to the forum so i hate butt in, but can you swap an engine from a 1995 3.5 with F-Code from LHS into a 2003 3.5 with G-Code from a 300? I hope at least one of you can help. Thanks in advance
:whistle:

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep reuse the ecu.

As far as the VIN stuff is concerned, check the two engines to make sure they are both high output (special = high output so no worries there). If the new engine is NOT high output (shouldn't be the case), then swap the intake plenum to make it high output.
There is one more thing to consider if changing from a magnum upper plenum to an HO or M Special plenum. At least in an 02 -04 you also have to change the engine harness as the plugs for the MTV and SR valves are not in the magnum harness. I know this from experience. Otherwise, all of the 2nd gen 3.5 engines are the same internally (pistons, cranks, rods, cams).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can the 2004 300m 3.5 g engine be stripped down fitted with the 2005 300 limited 3.5 external parts and be installed and work. I know intake and exhaust gasket part numbers are the same but not oil pan gasket. Having tough time getting this answer

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
The LH 3.5 block is not compatible. You'll need a 2005 or later LX 3.5 engine.

Oil pan and Oil filter passages are completely different on an LX 3.5.

Reactions: peva
1 - 18 of 18 Posts