DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I have em, and i like em. But i think they are backwards in mine lol. I have a normal lower end but a very responsive mid-high end and godo gas milage, i can cruise to bruce's at about 100mph and still get 24-25 mpg . But when they are normalyl installed, you get a quickier pickup in the low end, and makes the cra much peppier to drive

J

·
0 Posts
Noo gr8crash, I have the same.
I mentioned in one of my previous threads that all LHs shoulda come installed with SE (3.89) gears from factory.
Acceleration is def. better from stop, and engine never seems to "struggle" on uphills anymore. Downshifting is minimized with SE gears (comparing it to constant "push-the-pedal-just-a-little-and-car-downshifts" with regular gears.

And I thought it was an anomaly, but on the HWY, with SE gears I can get up to 520 miles on a full tank of premium gas. Tried and true. I also get 25 MPG at 100mph, just like you.. but I never wanted to say anything for fear of being raped here on this board.

Intrepidsize, GET THEM!

Your MPGs are improved! This is probably because, (observe your speedo/tacho) at 60mph I am at 2000RPMs. At 70mph I'm at about 2250, 80mph I'm at 2500. At 100mph I'm at about 3100 RPMs, Right smack-down-in-the-middle of the peak torque/horsepower curve. And being that this is a 3.5L 24 Valve, nice breathing engine, car runs so smooth and still with massive amounts of passing power at anything over 2500 RPMs.
I think stock gearing was configured to keep RPMs low. Improved MPG? Not likely, since I was getting worse mileage with the stock gearing even though RPMs were kept lower.
Added bonus with all that power and torque I feel at 2500 is "no downshift" characteristic. Still get better MPGs.. I lOVE IT. ABSOLUTELY LOVE the SE 3.89 GEARING!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
I think stock gearing was configured to keep RPMs low. Improved MPG?
I think this may have been the case but maybe because of noise too. Could be because it's my car I'm more critical of it but some other Ford and GM sedans of the time seem a little less noisy under acceleration. Like I said could just be me, but it would be cheaper to attenuate the noise by changing acceleration vs adding insulation. Look at the 42LE, Chrysler doens't mind being too cheap in some areas.

Me thinks I'll have to look into SE gears after I finish A/S conversion.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
you'd need a speedo correction box.. they are listed in the proformance parts thread..

or just stick a bigger tire on there, my speedo is like 3% off now.. its not bad.. not something thats really noticable.. thou when i had my 225/50's on the car the speedo was like 10mph off.. which sucked..

J

·
0 Posts
I want it to be a little bit incorrect!
So this way, when I'm flying down the interstate at, like 80, I'm really doing 76 mph. :)
It's mental, but I like it. If I'm driving around town then the speedo is pretty accurate. I know, cuz I pass by those "YOUR SPEED" trailers. And they always show 1 or 2 mph around my speedo needle. Faster I go, the more of an error there is.
But with SE gears, your speed will always "show" faster than you're going. It's mentally good for me, I like it. :)

Albeit, no car ever shows the correct MPH. It all depends. The faster you drive, the more of error your speedo has. It's just that SE gearing that error is wider. It's really not that bad, and I like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts