DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just bought a '95 Intrepid 3.5L about a week ago, and I was wondering about the 3 & L gears. I read about them in the manual, but it didn't say much, so are they like the drive gears but they shift at higher rpm or what?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
ok lemme start out in order here, the L gear: The L gear is something where if you put it in gear, the car will not shift until redline, (im not sure how many gears you can go through as i wouldnt try it, and it also wont downshift until it will be in the upper RPM range in the gear it will be dropping down to) hope that made sense. the 3 gear will shift like its in drive but will not upshift passed 3rd gear, and will generally resist downshifting and try to keep its RPM's from fluctuating to much, generally these are used when going down steep downgrades, called engine braking, L gear is fun when your really trying to get on it around turns cause the motor wont drop out of the powerband. :D

J

·
0 Posts
3 gear:

Transmission stays in second gear until 41MPH then it upshifts to 3rd.
If coming from 41+ MPH and slowing down (3rd gear).. it will downshift back to second gear at 35MPH.

hope it makes sense. I never use L gear. IT stays in First Gear and goes too slow until you hit 6500RPMs. To much strain on the engine.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
3 gear:

Transmission stays in second gear until 41MPH then it upshifts to 3rd.
If coming from 41+ MPH and slowing down (3rd gear).. it will downshift back to second gear at 35MPH.

hope it makes sense. I never use L gear. IT stays in First Gear and goes too slow until you hit 6500RPMs. To much strain on the engine.
accually its too much strain on the transmission not the engine.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
Actually, it's too much strain on my wallet. :p
I would love if my engine went again it was only 400 to replace. The tranny. OMG im stuck in limp mode untill i get a nouther tranny or a new car.:beat:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pretty much as stated, L will hold it to redline then shift, 3 will shift 1-2 normally, will shift 2-3 at a preset speed (my Dynastys did it at 35mph, wife's Intrepid at 35-37mph or whenever it hits 3000rpm), and then go into lockup around 45-50mph. In 3 it will not shift into 4th gear. 3 is great for driving around town, the 30mph downshift into 2nd saves brake pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts