DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF is the problem here? I have gone through 3 power cords for my computer in like 3 months. The cord goes from theback of the pc's tower to a surge protector. I know that it's not the surge protector because my monitor always works, the lamp by the desk works, and the DSL little box thingy works too. I know that it's not the outlet, tried another outlet and still nada. Can someone fill me in on what's going wrong here please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
Hmmm... is your pc operating ok? The only other thing left in that equation is the Power Supply in your pc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DodgeyAussie said:
Hmmm... is your pc operating ok? The only other thing left in that equation is the Power Supply in your pc.
Yeah, it operates fine. No virus', scandisk, defrag, cookies, cache, history, etc,etc all cleaned up once a week. No large downloading files, or other bogging down stuff. It's just the damn cords kep frying. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,625 Posts
Da King

TehKing said:
The power supply in your computer is probably faulty.

Going to have to follow the king with that one. But I do have a few questions.

Where are you buying your power cords from? What is the wattage on your power supply? Also what is the wattage of your surge? Is it just a surge strip or is it a surge with a battery built in? Also what brand is your computer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,908 Posts
By frying, you mean it overheats and slowly melts? Or do you mean at one point the damned thing just shorts right out and there's major heat damage to it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcarlos2000 said:
Where are you buying your power cords from? What is the wattage on your power supply? Also what is the wattage of your surge? Is it just a surge strip or is it a surge with a battery built in? Also what brand is your computer?
Buying the power cords from Walmart for like $10 each. Wattage on my current power supply? I have no idea. WHere do I look to find that (do I have to remove the power supply to find out?) Wattage on the back of the strip surge protector says : " 15 amps, 120 volts, 60 hertz". Brand of the computer is a Sony vaio.


EvilDeadFan said:
By frying, you mean it overheats and slowly melts? Or do you mean at one point the damned thing just shorts right out and there's major heat damage to it?
It does not melt... it is basically imop. The cord does not provide any power any at all to the tower. So yeah, it could very well be shorting out. OR Like king said above the curent power supply could be the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Before you do anything go get an outlet tester and make sure that the house is wired correctly.

Moving along.......

Consumer-grade surge protectors don't last forever.

Most of the less expensive ones use MOVs. Those components really have to be considered to be sacrificial in nature. Once an MOV stops a surge it has to be considered unreliable. Most of the time they fail 'shorted' and wil continue to pass electricity. MOVs also just plain get old and wear out irregardless of whether or not they've stopped a surge.

Surge protectors are cheap enough. Replace them often.

Instead of a simple surge protector I would go with a UPS in the range of an APC 1400 or something like that. Sure, the thing costs about $150, but you'll get far better power protection and conditioning.

A mid-good range surge protector will cost you in the area of $100 anyway. The extra $50 is good insurance.

Save the surge protectors for the laser printer. Plug your ink jets and PC and monitor into a decent UPS.

If you can find a salvage company that sells 'dead' UPS units, try there. Most often a 'dead' UPS just needs its batteries changed. Sealed lead-acid batteries have a life of about 30 months. Batteries Plus will swap out the cells in an APC 1400 for about $50 and recycle the old batteries too.

I've got 5 UPS in my house. 4 NetUPS 1400s and one NetUPS 500.

One on the PC, monitor, small HP b&w inkjet. Small things like the USB hub are in there too.

One on the cable modem, router, and switch in the utility room.

One on the phone system and raid box in the utility room.

One on the home entertainment center (TV, cable/DVR, and stereo).

The NetUPS 500 runs the Canon i960 and i9900 printers since they are in a closet in the office.

There is also an 'industrial-quality' surge protector wired directly into my breaker panel. The thing is made by GE, cost about $150, takes up two breaker positions, and installs just like a circuit breaker (meaning that it's DIY if you have the skills to work in a breaker panel).

The GE whole-house unit comes with $50k of electrical damage insurance.

Don't laugh at a whole-house surge protector. Take a walk around and add up all of the 'electronics' you have plugged in. Don't forget the dishwasher, oven, microwave, washer & dryer, clock radios, etc, etc, etc, anything that has a display or LEDs or a timer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
18 AWG wire is good for 10 amps... Something's WRONG!

I'm willing to bet it's the power supply but it could be a loose plug. Some vaios can be modded to take standard ATX supplies, but some can't. If you do mod be sure to pay attention to the airflow, get a replcement that hs fans in the same location to prvent overheating.

Buy your next cord at a local PC shop, Walmart is ripping you off.

I doubt it's the surge protector unless the plug fits very loosely. (check this) Don't use the cheap no name surge protector. APC, Belkin, Monster, Radioshack (these are actually DAMN good) and Tripp-Lite are the only brands I use for MOV based surge protectors. I hear CyberPower is also good, I took one apart and I fell it is also adequate but I havent used one yet as they aren't that common in my area.

A whole house protector is not designed to protect your PC, the whole house units are designed to knock down a surge to a level that will not damage large appliances and your home's wiring. They must be combined with a good point of use protector to protect a PC as they will still let through over 500v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought a new power supply online. Paid $40 for the thing. All seems to be well now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Note that in addition to the whole-house surge protector (a GE model THQLSURGE) I *also* use UPS boxen on the critical stuff.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top