DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in the Dodge Events forum under the post about a meet in Sheboygan, WI, I had the 30,000 mile service done on my Intrepid (yup.. we're at 30,500 miles).

No surprises, everything went smooth. They said that my brakes were in great condition, about 85% of the original pads remaining. If you didn't know it or refused to believe it, driving style has EVERYTHING to do with brake pad life. :)

After the service I noticed that the shocks felt a little tighter (they were recharged?) and the car handled more like it would if it were brand-spanking new. All things considered, it cost me $400, but it's money well spent.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
If the car handled any better, I'm sure it was because they probably inflated your tires to the correct pressure...it does make a world of a difference if they were under inflated. I don't think the struts are adjustable in any way (??)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, Intrepidatious, I misspoke there. The handling seemed the same.. I turn the steering wheel and the car instantly points to where it's supposed to. I think the most significant difference in the ride that I noticed was a little less bounce in the car going over bumps in town and a little less nose-dive when braking (which is not to say that either of those things were really a problem before this). I think the service guy said something about having recharged the shocks....whether that's a load of BS or not I don't know.

At any rate, I'm glad to have the car ready for winter now with the coolant flushed, tranny fluid and filter changed, tires rotated, brakes inspected and in good condition, etc. And I think they also did something with the spark plugs... another nice thing to have done for winter.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by 00ChryslerIntrepid:
I think the service guy said something about having recharged the shocks....whether that's a load of BS or not I don't know.

At any rate, I'm glad to have the car ready for winter now with the coolant flushed, tranny fluid and filter changed, tires rotated, brakes inspected and in good condition, etc. And I think they also did something with the spark plugs... another nice thing to have done for winter.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]
I don't know if they do things different in Canada or not (relating to this)...but me thinks you've been "had."
The sticker on my car has 100,000 Mile Tune-up Interval. Spark plugs good for that long. The coolant/anti-freeze should be long life too (100K). Your struts don't have any adjustment capability. Check your owner's manual for the 30K requirements. I think you'll see air filter, which they probably did but you didn't list. Anyways, I hope I'm wrong but something smells "rotten." HTH.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think they do anything differently in Canada on the Intrepid's (except make the engine block heater and battery warmer standard equipment)... and I don't think I've been had either... upon further inspection of the invoice I received from the dealer, they did the following things:
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace transmission fluid and filter
Replace throttle body gasket
Replace PCV valve
Put in fuel system cleaner
Zecol (must be the coolant)

Total parts: $86.90
Total labor: $291.20
Shop supplies: $24.97

They didn't replace the air filter because I have a K&N filter in it.

So it looks like they didn't do anything to the spark plugs. And, frankly, I don't care what the manual says about engine coolant going for 100,000 miles... the winters up here are brutal.. and I feel much better now that there's new coolant in there.

I was looking at the maintenance menu for all Chrysler/Dodge cars and listing what was in there... which included the spark plugs. I should have just mentioned what was on the invoice. Sorry for misinforming you guys.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to say, but you have been had!

There is no pvc valve on an Intrepid
I doubt he changed the Throttle body gasket cause it takes removing the , wipers, cowl cover, strut tower brace and transmision bracket and intake ducting and throttle body.

Impossilbe to recharge the shocks!

Find a new dealer

Look at the tranny pan bolts, bet he never did the filter change either, you have to pull the pan to do that.

Coolant flush is not required or recommended for first 100,000 miles! Did he put the pink stuff back in?

·
Registered
299 Posts
OMG, 400 Bucks!! Thats Insane, they defintley "had ya". At this rate, its gonna cost u 400 bux, every 30K. Seriously, you could have went to pep boys, bought oil, filter, trans fluid coolant, and did it ur self, and itwould have cost ya like 40-50 bux. All u haveta sacrifice is just getting ur hands dirty. That sounds crazy for 400 bux. My moms ES has 35,000, and my dad does general maitinence to it, and doesnt change the coolant that often. Next time u should think about going somewhere else, or doing it urself.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a PCV valve on the Intrepid... it mentions it in the manual.

And I have no intention of finding another dealer.. this car was bought there and it will be serviced there. In the future I will pay more attention to the car's manual and not the generic Chrysler service menu.

Live and learn, I guess. Fortunately, $400 is not a serious dent in the finances.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your right, there is a PCV valve, my mistake, but the rest is right.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Actually the 30,000 mile service call for nothing other than oil change and bedlt tension check and air filter. Thats it!

Even if you follow the Schedule B this is what is called for:
Oil and filter (Engine)
Check and replace PCV valve if necessary (its always necessary with the dealer!)
Check Belt Tension
Air Filter
Power Steering Fluid Replace
Differental Fluid replace
Thats all!!!

He did not change what was required!!

Go back and ask what the score is!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bear in mind that the dealer did not rape me as bad as they could have... if we're going to assume that they're crooks.

They told me the brake pads had about 85% of their life left. Surely if they were really out to get me they'd say that the pads were worn badly and the rotors were warped or something and would need to be replaced.

I'm not as pessimistic about this dealer as you are. If it's printed on the invoice as being done on the vehicle, they'd be taking a huge risk if they didn't actually do what they said they did on the car.

Whatever the situation is, it's over and done with now. Like I said, live and learn. I learned a lot from this. End of story.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with the service but you paid too much and had stuff done that wasn't necessary. tranny and filters - plugs/coolant flush etc. not necessary. They can't recharge struts either to my knowledge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts