DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
OOh me likey alot. Was it simple to install?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
install was a piece of cake, it would of taken me less time but I forgot to switch the front clear face from my old gauges onto the new ones so I pulled it out, swapped them and reinstalled, then I didn't like seeing the factory part number in the bottom right corner of the cluster so I took it apart again

so figure under 30 minutes to remove OEM cluster and install the 300M if you do it right the first time

only tools needed are a phillips head screwdriver and a t15 torx head

I love the EL illumination but it's gonna take some time to get used to seeing black needles instead of red at night

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
JoeKD said:
Found a 300M speedo from a 2000 300M (no idiot light problems) for a price so good I couldn't resist
- I would guess no idoit light problems with the same model year and similar high trim levels(lucky bastard)
- How good of a deal ???

JoeKD said:
I love the EL illumination but it's gonna take some time to get used to seeing black needles instead of red at night
My Police Cluster(150 mph-hee hee) has the EL and red needles-look kinda fluorescent red actually.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,149 Posts
Joe...what did you do about the white barcode that's visible in the lower right? Tape over it? Paint it? Remove it somehow? Inquiring minds want to know!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have the LHS speedo in my car (99 Cord) and I had a Trep speedo as well. I actually like the Trep speedo (anything is better then the original 99 Cord speedo) alot the problem was it didn't have traction and it made my traction not work. Hey Joe does your Trep speedo have ABS and traction? Are you looking to get rid of it if it does? :wink:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ronbo said:
Joe...what did you do about the white barcode that's visible in the lower right? Tape over it? Paint it? Remove it somehow? Inquiring minds want to know!!

When I did my gauges, I used nail polish remover to take off the bar code down to the original plastic. Then I taped it off and sprayed it with a few light coats of flat black spray paint. You only notice the difference when the light hits it just right. And then, all you notice is that the original layer has a semi-gloss or satin finish to it. Otherwise the color is identical. I'm thinking of spraying over the flat black again with some type of satin or semi finish black. I'm just being picky though because it really is almost invisible. I don't notice it while driving, unless I make a point of it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,149 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just happen to have a can of satin finish black that I used for my door trim. I was going to tape around it and use a black permanant marker on it but I'll remove it with the nail polish remover and paint it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ronbo said:
Thanks for the info. I just happen to have a can of satin finish black that I used for my door trim. I was going to tape around it and use a black permanant marker on it but I'll remove it with the nail polish remover and paint it.

Let me know how the satin black works! I hate to use you as a guinea pig, but it will save me taking out my cluster again.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, let's try to answer everyone

-I got the cluster for $50 shipped
-I just put a small piece of electrical tape over the barcode, it is so small that I couldn't justify spending the time painting it
-Yes, when the 300M has the same options there are no idiot lights

How to:
1. remove the radio/a/c control trim, remove the screw to the left of the trac control button

2. remove the fuse box cover. remove the bottom two screws and pull off the lower dash cover. remove the top two screws and screw in the front.

3. remove the trim around the steering column. its held on by two t15 screws from the underside. the two pieces just pop apart.

4. there are two screws holding the cluster in. one on each side in the white tabs, now the whole cluster will pull right out, it seems hard to come out because the connections unplug/plug automatically

5. one removed, remove the two screws from the cluster. to get the clear cover off, there are 7-8 clips that holds it on

6. (optional) cover the bar code in the lower right corner since it will be visible

7. swap the 300M clear face with your intrepid one. be sure the face is clean on the inside before you put it back on

8. reinstall everything back like it was

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
150 150 150

k damn and it works your sellling it cause i have a 300 m guages and only 120 damn that would be nice for 150 how much

·
Premium Member
16,764 Posts
I used a permanent marker ("Sharpie") on the bar code. Close enough that, like Joe feels about the tape, the very minor difference is not noticeable. I think any of the three methods would give results that are acceptable to most people, with the tape and marker being the easiest methods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts