DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm a highschool student heading to syracuse university(soon to be ncaa champs) this fall.I've been driving only for around 5 months so i'm a new driver My father has agreed to buy me my own vehicle to take up to college with me.At first he was gonna buy my nieghbors crappy ford focus for me, but i pleaded to him not and let me choose my own car.I wanted an affordable sporty sedan with with lots of leg room for my 6'4 frame.I've narrowed it down to the intrepid and 300m. My dad thinks that they are too large or car for me to start out with.I have 10k to spend.I'm stuck between a 1999 300M with 70k miles or a 2001 intrepid ES with 40k miles. Both are around $10k. I would appreciate your help with my decision and what are your thoughts of tthem bieng my first car.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Right, take the Intrpeid, you can always add parts of a 300m to it. I still think the Intrepid is a "sportier" looking car than the 300m.

--Gorm

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Well, I don't know what kind of driver you are, but your dad may have a point, both cars are pretty big (not as big as mine :p ), and I don't know if you want that. Anyways, I personally say get the 300M because, even though the other guys suggested that you can add the "luxury" features later, you may or may not have a job during school and won't be able to get the other features that you could have had standard in the 300M.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I say flip a coin.....they are equally beautiful...:)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I'd say have both of them checked out by a trusting mechanic, the Intrepid is newer and less mileage but if the 300M was better maintained it could be the better choice.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Whether you go with the 300M or the Intrepid, I wouldn't worry about the size. They're not very heavy when compared to other a lot of other cars the same size, and they are very easy to handle. When I started driving, I had no problem driving my father's Concorde.

Have you taken either of them for a drive yet? Take them out for a spin and see how comfortable you are with them. The 300M will have a lot more power and better handling, so there will be a noticeable difference between the two. Give them a try and see how they feel.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Rememeber the 300M length 197.8" are shorter than the Intrepids length 203.7". First year 300M do have a lot of bugs in them window motors and Elc problems. The above suggestion`s are good take them to a trusted Tech and have them checked out first.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It could have a 2.7L as this was the std. engine in the ES after 2000(I believe) the 3.2 then became the "extra cost" optional engine. if the '01 has a 2.7 then that could be a deciding factor....

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
If it DOES have a 2.7L engine... get it checked out by a trustworthy mechanic. Have him drop the oil pan, if there is sludge or deposits of sludge, go with the 300M. If there is not any sludge or sludgey deposits then go with the Intrepid.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I'd say take each out for a drive, and see what you find more comfy. Then have both checked out by a trustworthy mechanic.

Personally, between the two, I'd take the 300m with the 3.5 and luxury features. Faster. ;)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I love all lh's, but I do like the luxury features of a 300m.

Usually, the 300m's come with a pricey sticker new. So I'm guessing whoever owned this before you (get a carfax report) might have been a well off older guy, possibly maybe... :D I know we have some owners that are much younger than that, but maybe the car was babied, and might be a better choice.

However, if gas money might be an issue, a 3.2 might possibly be better on gas, but not so much that it would make a big diff.

300M is still my reconmondations. Still. Try both out and see which you appreciate more. :D

Welcome to di.net :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts