·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Bueller?

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
Hello Guys,

That is correct Peva, I have the 2.7 engine on it.
By the way what are the valve stem seals?
The shafts (stems) of the valves move up and down in close-fit hole’s (valve guides, AKA valve stem guides) in the cylinder head. The valve stem seal is a rubber (Viton) cap that fits onto the domed boss on the valve spring end of that hole. It allows the axial motion of the valve but seals against the stem to prevent oil from getting sucked/blown into the cylinder during vacuum (decelerating) or zero-pressure (engine off) conditions in the cylinder and/or positive pressure conditions in the crankcase/valve covers (i.e. clogged PCV valve).

There’s a very fine line between allowing the stem to slip back and forth in the seal with negligible friction and not allowing oil to leak thru. Over time, the seal hardens and looses its sealing ability. Apparently the design of the exhaust valve area on the 2.7 makes it much hotter than on other engines, so the 2.7’s valve stem seals typically don’t remain pliable much beyond 120k miles (YMMV). There’s no better material for that than good old Viton, but even if can’t take the heat of the mighty 2.7.

Go to YouTube and search on “valve stem seals” and watch a video on replacing them and you’ll see what they look like and how they fit onto the valve stem guide or hole. No need to watch the whole long video - fast forward to just after they remove the valve spring. You can also see clear photos of what the valve stem seals look like by drilling down to them on the Rock Auto site.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Surgery a success!!!!!

Hello guys,

One small step for man kind, gigantic step for Leo:usa1:

Here you go 03 SE with operational turning signals!!!!!!

Thank you guys for all the help.
Thanks Ron for the mirrors.

Pretty happy with it.

Next step is the seats, still waiting for the company to ship the covers.

Then is the aftermarket stereo. Looking at the only single din radio with touch screen. Pioneer makes it. It has mix reviews. Not too sure about it, but is the only one out there that I don't have to perform surgery on the dash to install it. I was looking at an Alpine but best buys guy says It does not fit my car with out breaking the dash and there is no aftermarket cover for it.

Finally the fog lights. May have to go and pay a visit to Dan in NC for his bumper. Take the opportunity and visit a few old friends in FT Bragg.

Sorry Ron, I did not answer immediately. Im on the night shift and I had just enough time to take the photo and shower, change and go to work. 1700 to 0100.

Any way guys here is a photo.

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
WooHoo! Another 300m Special Mirror Install Success Story!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
You're Welcome. Looks great!

Now I need to find a Silver set for my Ricer Mobile! Assuming I ever get the Brake lines repaired!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey guys can you tell me what color is this? I am going to change the entire interior to this. They are not black. Is this called dark Slate?
I need to get new or better condition door panels for the Intrepid. I saw that KxWarrior found some. May I ask where and are they new or used?

For Terry I have this question. When I put the seals in the door I will use silicon. But how about this gap. Is that normal, I don't remember if they where like that when I took them out of the car. (last october) Did they shrink?

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Need to know what year those pieces are out of. Dark Slate Trim should be 2002 and newer.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
All you need is the car year. Can't help otherwise.

Best thing to do is check the trim code on the door jamb label. It'll be a 4 character code. First 2 characters are the interior Seat Type/Model and the 2nd 2 are the Color.

For instance my 2002 300m Special with Two Tone interior....Light Taupe/Dark Slate is a NLL2 code.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
For Terry I have this question. When I put the seals in the door I will use silicon. But how about this gap. Is that normal, I don't remember if they where like that when I took them out of the car. (last october) Did they shrink?
Yes, they do have a tendency to shrink as they get older. I almost always have a gap like that when I replace them.
You can try to adjust it by pulling the two sides together but then you might risk more leakage from the corners being loose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good morning guys

Ok Ron, Ill try and see if i can go in an upcoming weekend. Terry maybe I can get another one there and just cut a piece of it and put it in the gap with silicon. You are right, if I adjust it I can feel the gaps around the door.

Ill see what I can get in Tallahassee.

Leo

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
Thanks Peva for the info, as always a great explanation.
You're welcome.

Need to know what year those pieces are out of. Dark Slate Trim should be 2002 and newer.
'98 - '01 would be agate. Is dark slate blacker than agate?

Was medium quartz the medium grey color that was paired with agate in the dark interiors?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hmmm, that car has the door panels and the no cracked dash cover that I need..... maybe a night raid, puertorican style!!!!!!

Hey guys, forgot to ask, while I was working on the side mirrors, I found this wire that is white with a green line. Apparently goes no where. Any ideas to what it is for?

Here is the photo.

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Those wires...one in each front door go from the power door lock switches to the BCM. Body Control Module. They're connected...just hidden in the bundle. White/Dark Green for the driver side and White/Light Green for the passenger side.

When you press the door lock switch it doesn't directly activate the door lock relays to lock the doors. The switch sends a signal to the BCM and the BCM then sends a signal to the door lock relays which then lock the doors.

Leave those wires as they are.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks Ron, will do. Just came back from the house finish pressure washing for the day. Going to work now. Take care

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hello guys
Just came back from a 2 hour drive to Tallahassee FL. Took a piece of the trim from the Intrepid that I bought several weeks ago. I wanted to match the color and take a picture of the label in the driver side door for Ron to see if he can determine the color.

Soooo... first, can't take any parts inside the yard, I beg the lady, told her I just drove 2 hours to get there and that she can mark the piece. She said no exceptions. She said to take a picture. So I did.
When inside after paying the cover charge.

The car is gone!!!!!!!!!.The picture did not help can't really tell if is black or dark grey.

Then I started looking for more intrepid and found this car. 02 ES, grey exterior with what looks to me black interior. What I really liked, it has n almost brand new NO CRACK DASH!!!!!! and all the doors are immaculate!!!!!!!!!!

So here you go Ron. Thanks in advance, going to work!!!!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts