DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, It's been a couple months now after my purchase. My first find was the 16" wheel/Tire combo on the car, that should have been different, the original invoice I found showed the PHP package, the door sticker shows the 18" tires. Saving up now for 18" OEM wheels.
Recently now I have noticed a less than great plastic filler job someone tried on the front bumper cover just in front of the front drivers side tire. Not real smooth, and now showing some cracking, that's just going to get a lot worse. Other cracks along the bottom on the other side along the bottom, with a couple inch long chunk missing.
After looking at some pictures of Specials on the 'net, I realized something was wrong! Someone must have had an accident, and had a 300m front bumper cover installed, instead of the correct 300m Special front bumper cover with the "ground effects". The cover that is on now should be replaced due to the poor repair work, and the remaining damage still on the cover. If I am going to replace the bumper cover, I will spend the extra money for the correct part. OK, save lots more money in the budget now....
Is the lower portion, the "ground effects", a separate, clip on part? Or molded on, just painted differently from the upper?
I have found a couple on the 'net going for around $350 ea. Does that sound about right? Anything to watch out for when purchasing an item like this on the 'net?
Around how many hours would a body shop want for removal of the old cover,and install of the new on a 300M?
Also, the car is the midnight blue, code PB8, do you feel the dark blue paint has to be blended up into the fenders? Anyone know the cost of painting a bumper cover? Just trying to get a ballpark figure on total cost.
Ahh, the adventures of buying a used car....
Thanks, you guys have been a great help. Dave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It only takes about 5 minutes to remove the bumper cover. The bumper and grill are a one piece unit. There are only two bolts and 6 plastic "push pins" holding the cover/grill onto the car. 3 push pins located near the hood latch. One push pin located in the passenger side inner fender well. The other two pins are located in the drivers side fendew well. The two attaching bolts are size 10mm and they are (one per side) accessed by removing the oval shaped plastic plug located just ahead of the front tire. To remove the bolts, I used a ratchet with an extension and the 10mm socket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's amazing, Sounds like the factory engineered the removal of the cover with ease in mind.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,280 Posts
$350 for a used Special bumper cover? Or is that new? A new one is in the $900+ range. Probably over $1k now knowing Fiat. If it's a used Special bumper that's right around the ballpark price. If it's supposedly a new cover and advertised as the Special version for $350 then something is wrong. Most like trying to pass a standard 300m bumper cover off as a Special one.

The "Ground Effects" lip is part of the Special bumper cover...it's one molded piece. You'll also need the bumper extension plastic pieces in each lower wheel well for the Special bumper cover. The wheel well liners are the same so you shouldn't have a problem there unless they're torn up at the mounting holes .The extension pieces should still be available from the dealer and under $20 ea. Again with Fiat those prices may have gone up considerably.

I'll look up the factory part number for the extensions when I get a chance.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,280 Posts
Here's the page from the parts catalog with the part numbers for the extensions. Item -45 or -46....it doesn't matter. Different part numbers for left and right. The two letters at the end may have changed due to updates and shouldn't be a concern if they're different than what's in the catalog.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,280 Posts
I'd stay far away from the ShowCars bumper. They've had a terrible reputation for quite awhile.

The Prestige one is your typical used "repaired" bumper. The price is in the ballpark. What they repaired and how bad the damage was is unknown until you get it. I haven't heard anything bad about them on all 3 of the forums and they've been advertising for quite awhile.

As far as the the "new" ones..how about a link to one? I've seen Ebay sellers offering new OEM covers for less than what a dealer charges so $700 is possible.

Again...you'll need the extension pieces for the Special cover. You need to look into what those will cost.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,280 Posts
Did a quick search on Car-Part for a 2002 300m Special front bumper cover. Search included the entire USA and all prices. There's some Honda Place in CA that's advertising new ones for $670 that sounds suspicious. Why would an Import shop have new OEM Chrysler bumpers? I'd guess they're trying to sell standard 300m bumpers as Specials with China made crap. THe rest on the list are damaged bumpers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts