DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after patience and a lot of looking. I picked up an extra 3rd brake taillight bar for only $15.00!! (Ebay rules:wink: )

So, my goal is to make the entire taillight bar light up. I'm not sure if I'm going to use LED's or bulbs. I won't get the actual taillight bar at least for a couple days, so I want to take it all apart to see what I might do.

But, I'm sure I'll have to take the assembly that "mirrors" the light from the existing 3rd brake light out since it seperates the red plastic area right in front of where the bulbs light up from the rest of the taillight bar.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be the best route to go, I'm listening! Thanks! :blush:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Me again! :) I know exactly where to get some good red LEDs. I just redid my tail-lights (again) and got some pretty bright LEDs from www.future-active.com. Do you want to make it a third brake light or stay on with the parking lights? Or both?

Part# HPWT-DH00 from lumileds is more red-orange (like most car tail-lights)

Part# HPWT-DD00 is more RED but not deep red like some spoiler third brake lights are.

Prices are about 45 to 55 cents a piece... depending on how many you get. I would think about 150 or so are needed for the whole light bar. I used the more RED leds for my tail-lights and brake lights. I'll get pictures soon.

Anyways, there's one option.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed on the picture of your side brake light that you have a cooling fan...is that neccessary for installing mass amounts of LEDs like I am thinking about doing for the 3rd brake light?

I think LEDs would look awesome, only it would be a gazillion times more work then trying to go the "Bulb" route. I guess I have to figure out which I want to do. Plus trying to make 150 LEDs line up perfectly straight would be a job (especially for how anal I am!):wink:

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I was thinking about doing the whole light bar thing too, but then decided it was too much work for my lazy ass...
it would look sweet as hell though:eek:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Intrepidatious, a cooling fan shouldn't be necessary for a single line of LEDs. That's how I would do it to light up the whole light bar. Put in the rear (or offset on the top or bottom), I would put a single line of LEDs butted up next to eachother. The reason I have cooling fans is because when you have a square full of LEDs, the ones in the center can't dissipate the heat too well. When there's only one line, the ambient temperature for each LED is lower.

SoBL94, the LEDs you mentioned would be good for tail-lights, but for brake lights they wouldn't be too good. The ones I'm referring to use a square design with 4 leads that are designed to dissipate heat better and take more current so they can be brighter. One of the square LEDs would take the place of about 5 - 10 of the 5mm round LEDs. That's why they're more expensive.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I took off my light bar to see if I could mount some evenly spaced bulbs to light the area around the 3rd brake light. My idea was to just use that "bridge" as tail lights, not brake lights. It looked like maybe 5 lights would have given enough light to make it appear the same brightness as the tail lights. LED lights need a lot of work, as I understand it, to make things work right. Resistors, capacitors, or whatever it is they need to run. And the "tron" knowledge to do it. It's not just a drop in like the LED light sets made to fit your bulb sockets. Anyway, I think the sealing of any bulb holder in that light bar is gonna be your biggest problem. Take a look. Ya gotta seal out the water. But I am interested. Let us (ME) know what you come up with.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How 'bout this? They sell a relay for the Mustang's to have sequential taillights (a la the 69 Cougar)...

If I set up each set of LED's or bulbs on the relay I could do this each time I turned the direction signal. (I used JGarrett's car since I don't have a rearview shot of mine...thanks JGarrett!)

Cool? It actually wouldn't be that hard to do, they sell everything I need to do it...:blush:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd say go for that idea. Might be easier to use regular bulbs for that. I would use LEDs, but like don said, you'd have to have the patience and know how. If you have that, I'd say go for the LEDs. if not, regular bulbs would still look pretty cool. I'd be willing to help out as much as possible with LEDs if you take that route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was gonna try to put a red neon tube back there, but I have never had the assembly apart, so I don't know if it would work. But I think it would be a really cool idea.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I gotta admit, I wasn't much interested in this thread :dozeoff: until I saw those sequential turn signals. Now I need to see a How-To!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
DUDE!!! Thats fricken sweet!:eek:

So, when you actually going to come over and do that?:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RapidTransit said:
I gotta admit, I wasn't much interested in this thread :dozeoff: until I saw those sequential turn signals. Now I need to see a How-To!:biggrin:
Well, lucky for you I had nothing to do today except search through the internet and find this "How-To" on how to make a home made sequential flasher! It's done on a Mustang but the principal is pretty much the same.

Homemade Sequential Taillight "How-To"

Apparently, you don't need to order a kit, just buy the stuff that this guy used and do it yourself!.

I guess you can also buy 3157 mounting brackets that we can put into the back of the taillamp bar to hold the 3157 bulbs.

I'm doing this...period. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
hey Intrepidatious, if you do decide to do this let me know how it turns out - i might be interested in doing it myself.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sooooo, what's going on in this area? Haven't seen a thing! I like the idea of a lighted bar, no flashing lights for me. However, since I took mine off and saw there may be sealing issues, I gave up. It was beyond my pea brain capabilities. Anyone doing something?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have the extra 3rd brake light bar, but I haven't started anything on it. I'm not sure if I'm going to or not. I looked it over and I'm a little worried abvout sealing issues also (especially since the one on my car fills up with water every so often!)

Who knows, when it gets a little warmer I may do something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts