DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
as far as the 4.0L cams, they have the same lift but I think they had another 8 or 10 degrees duration on the intake and exhaust. You would probably find a little bit better performance (although it might be most noticeable on a paper/a dyno run). I myself haven't done the swap but I've looked at it a little bit. I would think that the stock pcm should be able to compensate for the little bit longer duration. The only issue I see is that under your name it says that your car is a 99 where as the cam sprockets and tone wheel that are on the 4.0L engines are only a direct swap for 02-04 model years. You may be able to swap the cam sprocket and tone wheel around from the 99 to the 4.0 cams but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Would I be able to get away with just swapping the tone wheel ? And how are the tone wheels alined ?
This was discussed pretty in depth at one point and it's not a simple swap, but there were some theories on how to do it successfully. I don't recall where exactly the conversation ended.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes but unforunatly I own a 99 so I could run into some issues there ........ If anyone can give me some details on a proven way to do this I'm willing to jump in with both feet and give it a try eather with detailed milling directions or the how tos on the tone wheel swap

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Yes but unforunatly I own a 99 so I could run into some issues there ........ If anyone can give me some details on a proven way to do this I'm willing to jump in with both feet and give it a try eather with detailed milling directions or the how tos on the tone wheel swap
My guess is you would have to compare the 98-01 cam sprocket (with tone wheel) with an 02+. Start from there.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
If you don't want to go through the process of machining the camshaft, would it be possible to swap out the flexplate and ECM from an 02-04 and put it into a 99 or would you end up with other problems?
Again, I think you would need to compare the flexplates side by side to see if they are the same...or better yet, check the parts catalogs from 99, and 02 to see if there is a part number difference.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Also, you always could get a hold of Crower, and have them do regrinds of the stock cams to match the Inertia Motorsports cams, prolly 1.1, or 1.2 depending on your mod level.
You would have to send the cams out of your car to do it, but the regrind is under $200 IIRC.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
If you don't want to go through the process of machining the camshaft, would it be possible to swap out the flexplate and ECM from an 02-04 and put it into a 99 or would you end up with other problems?
If you do that you've got a huge pile of other stuff to do. Long story short you have to rewire the whole car and replace many components that you wouldn't think of. Daytrepper's done it though, it's just a lot of work and money for the parts (if you don't have a parts car).

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Also, you always could get a hold of Crower, and have them do regrinds of the stock cams to match the Inertia Motorsports cams, prolly 1.1, or 1.2 depending on your mod level.
You would have to send the cams out of your car to do it, but the regrind is under $200 IIRC.
Just talking to Crower might be the best route. At least see what they can do before going off on any plan.

·
Registered
452 Posts
as far as the 4.0L cams, they have the same lift but I think they had another 8 or 10 degrees duration on the intake and exhaust.
actually the 4.0 HEAD has .5mm more intake and exhaust lift over 2nd gen LH, i know the exhaust lift is from valve length, while the intake is either cam lobe or rocker arm ratio, i haven't had a peek at the lobe specs between the cams, or rockers.

i have all years of the 3.5 and then the 4.0 engine specs, they only really have valve lift/length and duration however not much on the cams/rockers.

some more research may be needed im reinterested now :wasted:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is that 200 ish for the regrind of the pair ? Or each ? Anyone know off the top of there head. I've tried calling crower but service is spotty here at work

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
actually the 4.0 HEAD has .5mm more intake and exhaust lift over 2nd gen LH, i know the exhaust lift is from valve length, while the intake is either cam lobe or rocker arm ratio, i haven't had a peek at the lobe specs between the cams, or rockers.

i have all years of the 3.5 and then the 4.0 engine specs, they only really have valve lift/length and duration however not much on the cams/rockers.

some more research may be needed im reinterested now :wasted:
The head has nothing to do with lift....that is all handled by the cams. The heads between the 3.5 and the 4.0 are identical. The cam produces more lift, and the head gaskets are different (thinner gasket on the 4.0 application)

·
Registered
452 Posts
The head has nothing to do with lift....that is all handled by the cams. The heads between the 3.5 and the 4.0 are identical. The cam produces more lift, and the head gaskets are different (thinner gasket on the 4.0 application)
yea thats what i was referring to was the cam, when i said 4.0 head i was meaning compared to if you pulled a head in a yard...

i do actually say in my post how the intake lift is a result of cam or rocker ratio, and exhaust valve is .5mm longer, so i didnt think i needed to point out more where the lift comes from... i was just more saying how the 4.0 cams may or may not give you that exhaust lift.. and im leaning more towards not but thats a guess

1 - 20 of 26 Posts