DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I only have to use a 1997 flex plate to get a crankshaft position sensor signal. We had the same flex plate for both platforms, even though the transmission and engines are both different. A sensor bolted to the AT bell housing counts windows on the flexplate.

The 1998- 2007 flexplate has a symmetrical bolt pattern and the older flexplate we share with LH has one hole off-centered and D shaped. My 1997 has this older flexplate from the factory, Rock Auto is incorrect on years.

I'll have to dig up some more FSMs to figure out the camshafts, I have the manuals for a bunch of random chryslers but the site I used to get them from is down atm. Might need to just start tearing things down at the salvage yard to find differences.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have all the LH FSM's in paperback, (Though currently in storage.) I used to have some FSM info on 2004 and later Chrysler products on CD and DVD from Chrysler. Though, I don't currently know where they are at. Somewhere in the basement for sure. I'm sure that info on CS, RS and RT bodies is in amongst those discs. Good hunting for those parts. I haven't had much opportunity to get to a boneyard for years now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got motor #1, a 4.0L out of a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country. Complete engine with accessories and most of the wiring, sans exhaust manifolds that someone had already taken.
I'm going to try to pull my 3.3L this week so I can set the 4.0 in there and see what I'm working with space-wise. I have hand surgery tomorrow, hopefully that doesn't slow me down too much.

Next I need to go pull a 1st gen Intrepid 3.5L and wiring harness, then I can figure out what needs to be swapped onto the 4 liter to make it compatible with the intrepid EFI.

Once I have both engines in front of me, and become more familiar with them, I promise to go look at some Dodge Nitro 4.0L engines and see if the motor mount bosses on the block look compatible with the LH Platform 3.5. If that's the case, it might be a viable swap for 1st or 2nd gen Intrepids too.

:cool::cool:🤓🤓
🍻🍻

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is a 1994 3.5L Intrepid at a salvage yard near me, I'm wondering if I should go pull the front harness and PCM from this to begin fabricating a new harness, until I can get hands on a 96-97 PCM?

I think I need to try to stick with the transverse timing cover and upper intake if possible, there is a significant difference in packaging between tall/narrow transverse applications and short/wide longitudinal applications.

I'll need to get the 1st gen Intrepid throttle body I think, and adapt it to the 4.0 manifold.

I know I need the left(front) camshaft sprocket. Hopefully I can come up with a solution to make a hybrid cam sprocket, rather than swapping the entire top end from a 1st gen.

What other stuff do I need to obtain? Coolant sensor, IAT, EGR system, knock sensor, map sensor, ignition coils. Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I found a couple of engines half ripped out of LX cars. The right motor mount definitely looks compatible with the 4.0 block, I couldn't get any good looks at the left motor mount. The front motor mount would be easy for y'all to get rid of, it just bolts to the timing cover. I imagine, if any of the longitudinal accessories didn't fit, a timing cover swap would fix it.

Somebody post some pictures of a longitudinal 3.5, we can compare blocks and see if the mounts will bolt to a 4.0 block. I know the oil filter location is different, it's under the harmonic balancer on the transverse block but on the left side of the longitudinal block.

41TE: 3.3L vs SOHC bolt holes

I've got a full gasket set and timing kit. I'm going to order an Inertia Motorsports V1.2 camshaft set and Megasquirt MS3X tomorrow. Teardown this weekend to see how the bearings, rings, and such look. I did a compression check and got 158-162 psi across all the cylinders. Interestingly, I cranked the 4.0 over with a 1997 41te case, the 2004+ NGC flexplate, and a 3.3L/41te starter. Seems Chrysler has been very lazy about changing dimensions over the years.

The 3.3L and 3.5L are so damn similar, Im going to just hook up the 3.3L pcm to the 4.0L with SBEC sensors, minus the injectors and ignition, then piggyback the MS3X to run the actual fuel and timing. This should keep my TCM, BCM, and instrument cluster happy, plus give me some tunability to get the most out of the cammed motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The bottom end is ridiculous. I knew they upsized the main bearing journal diameter for "NVH" reasons. The windage tray is a 1/2 inch thick structural piece of cast aluminum, it's bolted in with the outer main bearing caps bolts. Not sure which engines got this, it looks like some 3.5's have the structural windage tray, while others got a steel windage tray.
Cross bolts on all 4 main bearing caps, I think all the aluminum 3.5's got this, or else it was only the two middle caps that are crossbolted?

Oh god, someone worked on this motor at some point, and used silicone to attach the lower manifold. Every single intake port had this blob of silicone growing into the port🤮

Here's the left side, now that I have the accessories striped off. Pretty sure those 3 angled holes are for a Longitudinal engine mount? One is half hidden behind the dipstick tube hole, swapping the pan would fix that.

Gotta go buy a claw gear puller today to get the harmonic balancer off. Then I can pull the timing and heads.

I tried to buy the V1.2 Camshafts from Inertia Motorsports, their website is down at the moment? They had just emailed me back on the 7th with an answer to a question. Maybe I'll try emailing them again...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Look up in 1G fourms for Hypnos. I wanna say he put a 2G engine in a 1G car. Required modification of the Front cradle for oil pan. May give you some help.

Fair warning. It will be buried, or stickied. Ancient ruins of a great forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Ive received the Megasquirt MS3X and Wiring Harness. The block and crank are at a machine shop, I had some ugly bearings. Whoever worked on this motor had the rear bank camshaft off by one timing mark, and the tensioner puller loose.
Inertia Motorsports V1.2 Camshafts were ordered a week and a half ago, they are on their way from Crower.
Going to tear the old 3.3L out this weekend. I'll start porting, polishing, and lapping valves next week.

Here is the problem with the timing sprockets-

NGC(2nd gen LH/LX/RT platform) camshaft sprocket-

SBEC(1st gen LH) Camshaft Sprocket-

NGC camshaft keying

SBEC Camshaft Keying

And, the solution. The timing wheel is just a thin piece of sheet metal interference fit onto the sprocket. Hit it with a little heat from a torch, and it will pop right off.

SBEC Ring, all 4 tabs are the same size.

NGC Ring, the tab near the TDC timing notch is wider

And the SBEC Ring installed on the NGC Sprocket, a 10 minute job.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts