DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have other options for me?

My shifter is very stiff, and doesn't shift into park well anymore. Any clues?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Ask anyone who swapped column shift to console shift, cause they would have had to swap shifter cables...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi,
make sure there are no recalls or TSB's on this. My 94 had a recall. I took it in but didn't notice any difference.
Take out the centre consol and see if something has fallen in there and jamming up the works. You may try to grease it up a bit. One thing I noticed on mine is there is a nut that adjusts the cable, maybe its loose and needs to be tightened after putting the cable back in the correct position.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No recall I'm pretty sure. I looked under the centre console, but I really feel as if some part of the assembly may be bent somewhere?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Avenger,

Does your shifter get difficult to move into gear? If so you may have gotten water into the shifter from inside the engine bay causing it to rust and not move so freely. There was an issue with original shifter cables doing this, theres a rubber boot that deteriorates and cases water to get into the cable. This could be from cleaning your engine, to water splashing up. Only solution i found was to replace the cable new new cable does not have a way for water to get in DC fixed that issue. (dealer only item- $89 i think is what i paid) I did it myself, it was kinda of a pain, but i got it completed and it shifts really smooth now evern a year later. Hope this helps Rob!

Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Interpretblurple- Hey avenger I personally removed mine...i know it isn't safe since my car can be stolen easier but mine broke and i didnt know how to put another back in so i just kept it out.)

How can you remove it and still shift???

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my shifter is quite stiff and difficult to move into gear. Happened last year when I smoked my car on a road cut.......hasn't been the same since :(

·
Registered
488 Posts
Rob,

Let me know if i can help with any questions, it was difficult but not that bad, took me about an hour to get it swapped out and this was running it through the firewall.

~Tony

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My shifter cable was replaced right before I got my car. The previous owner said he didn't feel right selling me the car with the shifter being very stiff (great guy). He had it done at the dealer (Hunt in Milton) for $253.65.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whaaaaaaaa??? My dealer said 2.5 hours labour + $130ish for the cable?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have the invoice at home, I could scan it for you if you want to 'rattle' the dealer, otherwise, Milton isn't that far for you.

PS- heading to Cambridge in about 1/2hr

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to see that invoice!

Give me a time and place, we can have a mini meet ;) I wanna see that flattened R/T of yours :p

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Avenger said:
I wanna see that flattened R/T of yours :p
Lol... that's it, I have to ditch that PS'd sig. and go back to my 'bubbly' stock photo !!

I'll be taking a rental out there (whenever it friggin' shows up). My receipt is at home but I'll scan it over the weekend for you. PM me an email address.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Tookie said:
Rob,

Let me know if i can help with any questions, it was difficult but not that bad, took me about an hour to get it swapped out and this was running it through the firewall.

~Tony
Same here, Rob. As I posted in your other thread, I replaced mine a couple months ago. It's not a bad job at all. It should take about an hour or so to do if you're even the slightest bit familiar with wrenching! Disconnect at the trans, disconnect at the shifter, pull the old one out, and run the new one through through the firewall right where it came from...hook it up on both ends, adjust it at the shifter, and you're pretty much done. The FSM gives instructions...pretty simple. The part runs about $85 (U.S.) at the stealership.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
there was a shifter cable recall on the 2g's as well, might wanna check yours out, eh.
Yup, I got a letter about the "Shift interlock" recall a few months back also.
Havn't taken it in as I havn't had any problems with it, but the recall may be a
convieniant thing for your situation.
Did you take the shifter bezel off and look how its shifting? Nothing in the way?
Mine was acting kinda funny with the little black slidey thing, just took it apart, and put back together. Was fine after that...

·
Registered
150 Posts
The same thing started happening to my car, and after about 6 months of being bad it just went out where I couldn't shift. The problem is that there is a plastic cover over the cable and when dirty and so forth gets inside it starts to buckle. I would replace it myself. Very easy if you aren't using the place that the cable goes through the wall as a firewall for your amp cables or anything else. An hour of work in the driveway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts