DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 42LE - A606 Tranny, can someone tell me where or what part of the tranny is the 2-4 Pressure switches located?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
the 2-4 pressure switch is located inside the solenoid pack. The plug connector is located on the left side of the tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks would you happen to know if there is a governor pressure switch somewhere in the tranny or if the actual governor (in this case the TCM) some how sends a signal to the selonoid and tells it to go slower?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What's the actual problem with you tranny ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went on a 300 Mile long trip (one way) and right around the 200 mile part i decide it was open highway and dicided to see how quick the car would go because in the 5yrs that i owned it i never ran it quick, so i ran my intrepid all the way to about 118mph then the car kicked down and slowed me down(i think it was the governer/speed limiter), so i did about 115 for about 20 secs then i finally decided to go 80mph from there on the rest of the trip. I get to my destination fine and park the car at the hotel for 4 days without moving/starting the car, when i go to start her up i leave the hotel parking lot and notice that the car doesnt have much torque, i try to get on the freeway and i noticed that i lost torque and i would give it gas and it went no where, i thought my tranny had died! But then i turned off the car and back on the and the car moved again!

Pretty much the problem is that the car wont switch to 2nd or 3rd, i cant tell wich gear it wont go into, the second it tries to go to 2nd or 3rd the car looses torque and seems like the tranny doesnt want to do its job in any of the gears, in other words i loose ALL gears (1st,2nd,3rd, Drive) and the car wont move when i give it gas. All i can hear are the bands spinning which i know is not good so i immediatly turn off the car. I have to stop the car, put it in park, turn off the ignition and start the car again, once i start the car again i have low (1st) gear again. I noticed i can trick the car by shifting to low gear and flooring the gas then once it passes 35mph i shift to DRIVE and the car will drive fine at higher speeds but the torque isnt as good was when it ran normal.

I get no engine codes. The tranny codes i get are 52 (Incorrect gear Ratio), 54 (Incorrect gear Ratio ), 36 (fault immediatly after shift), 28 (check prndl signal)

I checked the fluid levels and they were aways good, and i smelled it and it smelled fine, the fluid was even a nice clean pink! I serviced the tranny myself at 60,000 miles with atf +3 and changed the filter, the car now has 80,030 miles.

So far i have drained all the fluid, and put new atf+3 fluid, replaced the accumulator pistions and piston rings, bought a new TCM from the dealer, changed both input and output speed sensors and quick learned the transmission several times and it still does the same thing and im running out of money!!!! I have checked the CVI's and they are all within the range, not too high and not too low. The PRNDL signal seems to work fine when i tested it with a scan tool. i need help!

Can it be the selenoid or can it be other things? or should i just go out and buy a used low milage tran?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, have you checked the Trans Relay, if the relay is bad, the tranny will be stuck in Limp-Mode. Also how about the Trans Range Sensor have you replaced that yet. In the pic, it's the Sensor that's between the Input/ Output Sensors:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well there are no bands in our tranny so thats not what is slipps, but it is probably the friction slipping. And acroding to codes 52 and 54 you might be fubared. The only casue for those 2 codes is an "internal transmision failure" and there are no other causes for codes 52 or 54 and also code 36 goes with codes 52 and 54. And these are not electrical issues these are major issues and pretty much gurantee adn internal failure, how bad or severe is unknown unless you get it taken apart. But i'd start looking on ebay or somewhere for another trans

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Also, the solenoid pack is NOT field servicable. It gets replaced as a unit. Far too many passages, adjustments, and valves for the shade-tree guy to do the work correctly.

So don't even think of working on the pack yourself and if you have, you'll be better off getting a reman'd pack from a reputable source.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've checked the trans relay, but i never really checked or replaced the Trans Range Sensor. The selonoid is around 200 bux, instead of spending 200 on something im not even sure if it is the problem i think it seems like i might be looking towards a used tranny to put in my intrepid.

Whats the maximum you guys would pay for a used 42LE tranny? And should i be aware of the way it bolts up or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
hit me up on whichever one you have (using the any of the programs above on my profile) except for ICQ (not currently installed)

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i would also say to save your $$$ and not to waste it on sensors, packs, etc. Its something non-electrical so i'd start looking for a used trany first. Hit up ebay, they had a few on there with buy it nows for $200 with VERY low mileage

·
Registered
639 Posts
Also, replace that ATF +3 with ATF +4, much better fluid for this tranny (per the TSB that has been out for a few years now).

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Big3 said:
Also, replace that ATF +3 with ATF +4, much better fluid for this tranny (per the TSB that has been out for a few years now).

yea when he get a good tranny that is haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts