DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many quarts does our trannys hold? And has anyone here changed your trans fluid yourself? Now that im hearing and seeing ATF+4 on the consumer market ie valvoline im considering changing it out myself..

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
i havent changed one on our trans, but ive changed the fluid on everything else ive owned...figure about 12 quarts or so, just keep fillin it till it says enough...(while runnin)..remember its better to not have enough than to overfill.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i tried to change mine once and couldnt break the pan free fro mthe block with all the rtv they used. i suppose i could have if it were up on a lift and i had more elbow room. i bought a galloon of the atf+4 for 20.00 at dodge dealership. they parts guy sd that was enough. but then later on i was told it was not enough at a local shop, that i needed like closer to 12 quarts. im still not sure. i ended up taking to dealer for full flush and had pan pulled and filter change. 213.00 + tax - northtown dodge in amherst ny......
one interesting thing i noticed on my bill is they had fluid + additive listed on the invoice. i dont know if that is just a generic computer write up that goes on the invoice, or if they really put some additive like an antifoam in there. ive heard that all it needs is atf+4, but the dealer couldnt be wrong....yea right....

i couldnt tell a difference afterwards. then again my old fluid looked fine and may have only been in there 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I did the first pan drop & filter change, it took exactly 6 quarts and I let it drip for about an hour. Taking the pan off was a ***** that first time, so I took a break and came back.

Last week I had a bad valve body replaced and they charged 8 quarts towards the warranty.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Properly changing the fluid **and** flushing the torque converter & valve bodies/sol pack takes about 2x the fluid capacity of the tranny, say 12-14 qts.

However, unless you've very careful, it's messy as hell. Spilled ATF is a PITA to clean up and you'll never really get all of it off the driveway.

14 qts of fluid = $50 or so. Add the cost of the filter and rtv sealant and your time to do the work and clean up.

If you're patient, you can often find a $99- special at Mopar dealers. The regular price should be in the neighborhood of $150.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for all the feedback, I may endup taking it to the dealer lol Sounds like a real pain in the ass and its to damn hot outside haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts