DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i still have my subs sittin on my floor, but ive got my income tax check comming, and im gonna be putting my system together, but before i start, the amp i am gonna get (Hifonics bxi 1606) Has terminals for 4 gauge wire, but i was thinking that i should run 1/0 wire being that its going to be in an 86 cutlass, and i dont wanna put any strain on 20 year old wiring, and its gonna be around 1200 watts, but if i get the 1/0 guage how do i make the amp acccept it, splice it with 4 gauge and then put the 4 gauge in, but then that seems to me like it would useless to have even put 1/0 at all. any advice would be helpful
-Christopher

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
hmmmm get a cap and run the 0 to the cap and then run 4 from the cap to the amps

cause what i did,was I ran 2 awg to a anl fuse,then ran the rest of the 2 awg to the cap.
then i ran 4 awg from the cap to the amp,
or if your lucky enough to find the special connection .that will fit 0 awg to the 4 awg terminal, then use that special connection.
yes i all ready know caps don't generate power they just store power, and i used the cap as a bridge.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like u said but what if instead of a cap a distribution block? that might work as the same thing, and im going to run a second amp that i just got to powerd the front and rear speakers.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
yea i went with the cap for some extra temporary power jump. but the power block is good also

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much that seems like such a simple solution, meanwhile i was sitting here going "ohh no what am i gonna do?"

ask and ye shall recieve

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have that exact same amp and I am about to do the same thing with 0 gauge wire and a distobution block, Just try to make the wire from the distrobution block to your amp as short as possible.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good find dude, thanks alot. and narrowing the gauge like this doesnt defeat the purpose of running all that 0awg?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Nope, not if you use the step down terminals. Shoving a solid piece of metal into the amp helps out with the fact that you're using a smaller gauge at a point.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet thanks dude

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jimmy79 said:
I have that exact same amp and I am about to do the same thing with 0 gauge wire and a distobution block, Just try to make the wire from the distrobution block to your amp as short as possible.
extremely late response but how do you like the 1606?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jimmy79 said:
I like it so far, Ive only had it for about a month now so as long as it lasts a few years it will be $280 well spent. Have you ordered yours yet?
not ordered yet, but im placing my order this week. so hopefully i wont have to wait forever, whered u get urs from? im planning on getting it from sonicelectronix.com.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when it comes to ebay for some reason i get all 1950's and feel like im gonna get ripped off or something.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
johnnyko12 said:
www.gobuysomeofdeez.com

Don't be droppin cash on d-blocks or god forbid a capacitor ;)

Those adaptors "Look" like a very good idea. I made similiar connectors years ago on a lathe with brass. Worked good for the most part. BUT! One thing i discovered in high currnet draw amps was this......

You take a solid chunk of metal and shove it into a set screw type terminal, and you have a very small contact area with the connector, that adds up to melted fuses and screwed up power supplies in amps!!!!!!!!!!!

The small contact area of the adaptor to the terminal CANNOT pass enough current in the larger high current amps!!!!!

I suggust simply cutting away the excess wire of the 1/0 down to size to fit the 4 ga connection. Then solder the wires and install.

One additional note here, after the conections for the power wire have been made, be sure to retighten them after about a week!!!!!! then retighten about every 2 or 3 months. Copper wire compresses over time and will cause a loss of connection over time. Use a torque wrench if you dont believe me!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jimmy79 said:
lol As long as they have a good feedback rating like 98-100% and they have sold thousands of items then its a pretty safe bet.

Here is the guy I bought mine from off of ebay.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=trendyperson&item=5874075933&iid=5874075933&frm=1883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:SID
yeah thats tru, i saw this one thats got my attn, its just a few dollars more than i was gonna spend for the 1606.eBay: HIFONICS BXi2006D BRUTUS CLASS D MONO AMP BXi 2006d NEW (item 9706717016 end time Apr-08-06 02:47:13 PDT)

I suggust simply cutting away the excess wire of the 1/0 down to size to fit the 4 ga connection. Then solder the wires and install.

One additional note here, after the conections for the power wire have been made, be sure to retighten them after about a week!!!!!! then retighten about every 2 or 3 months. Copper wire compresses over time and will cause a loss of connection over time. Use a torque wrench if you dont believe me!!!!!
thats a good idea, thanks alot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts