DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just found this website/forum which so far I've found to be an excellent site for information.....keep up the great work!

The reason I've been browsing this site is because I'm a proud owner of a new 2001 Intrepid!

After only 200 miles on the car I've already
upgraded the wheels and am now eyeing the stereo system (BTW, it's the premium system).

My question to those experienced Intrepid owners:

It seems as though the door speakers are non-standard 6 1/2 inchers. I've noticed that SoundDomain lists many speaker makers (ex. Cerwin-Vega) as having 7 inchers which do not require any mods for installation. They also list all 6 1/2" speakers as needing mods. Can anybody confirm this? Has anybody dropped in a 7" set without difficulty?

Finally, looking at the doors it seems like I should be able to handle this upgrade. Any suggestions/watchouts from those who have completed this modification?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeah they are a 6.5" but they are a weird screw hole placement. they only use 3 screws to hold the OE speakers in place. i cant remember the name of the company. i think its metra. one of the aftermarket compaines make an adapter plate so that you can get aftermarket speakers bolt them to this adapter and they will fasten into the stock holes, so you wont have to do any drastic mods to the door panel. im cheap and just gonna get my dad to fab some adapters out of lexan for me for my speakers. got the templates done just have to give them to him to make up. gotta save money somehow for that dual exhaust system ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fabricated some (there not too pretty, but who can see them). i ddin't sound deaden my doors, the only rattle that I seem to have is from my rearview mirror...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information.

Sounds like it's just an odd screw pattern...correct?

If that's so then why couldn't you just drill new pilot holes in the door that would match up with a standard 6 1/2" speaker?

To Warlord187.....on the wheel front I was looking for something to replace the stock hubcaps and give the car a nicer look without breaking the bank......Consequently, I couldn't pass up a great deal locally for a set of American Racing Estrella's for $90/each installed which included mounting, balancing and new lugs. I was looking at the Konig line but the ones I liked would have been nearly double the cost of the American racing ones. I figured with that difference I could make some big strides in upgrading the stereo system.

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Candyman,

Actually, I was thinking the same thing until I realized that once you drill through the speaker they become yours for life since all warranties and returns become null and void......so you better make sure they are exactly what you want and that they are working perfectly before you do the deed.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts