DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


7/10 of a Second to Die
THIS IS A GRAPHIC REPRESENTATION OF WHAT HAPPENS IN AN ACCIDENT. IF THIS KIND OF INFORMATION BOTHERS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE!

It takes seven tenths of a second to kill a person on a vehicle crash. Studies at Yale and Cornell Universities provided a dramatic split second chronology of what happens when a car rams into a tree at 55 mph. To get an idea of this short amount of time, it takes approximately 2/10 of a second to blink! We suggest you picture your young son or daughter in the drivers seat.

At 1/10 of a second, the front bumper and grill collapse.


At 2/10 of a second the hood crumbles, rises, and smashes into the windshield while the grillwork disintegrates.


At 3/10 of a second your son/daughter is sprung upright from their seat, their knees break from being jammed under the dashboard, and the steering wheel bends and twist under their grip.


At 4/10 of a second the front of the car is destroyed and dead still, but the rear of the vehicle is still traveling at 55 mph. The half-ton motor impacts with the tree.


At 5/10 of a second your kid's fear-frozen hands bend the steering column into an almost vertical position as they are impaled on the steering wheel shaft. Jagged steel punctures their lungs and arteries.


At 6/10 of a second the impact rips the shoes you bought them off their feet. The vehicle chassis bends in the middle, and your kid's head is slammed into the windshield. The vehicle's rear end begins its downward fall as its spinning tires churn into the ground.


At 7/10 of a second, the entire body of the car is twisted grotesquely out of shape. In one final agonizing convulsion, the front seat rams forward pinning your kid against what used to be the steering wheel shaft and dashboard. Blood pours from their mouth, the result of massive internal injuries. Your kids face is torn into horrible lacerations from smashing through the windshield and almost every bone in their young body is broken. Shock has frozen your kids heart . . . but they don't mind . . . because they are already dead.


Please don't ever let your kids have to experience this! Studies have shown that teens are much safer drivers when they have actively involved parents. Please become very actively involved in your teen's life and driving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought that was awful graphic and negative for parents to be thinking or whatever

couldent believe it was out there

interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Yes,very graphic indeed.But many teens,and actually many adults,need to get the point driven home to watch out and use common sense when you're out on the road.Sometimes you have no control over some situations you are put in by other careless drivers,but you can at least control what you can control and be as safe as you can.Thanks for the posting of that;it sure got my attention. :icon_eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I like how it takes into account zero safety features that most cars today have and presents only a worst case scenario.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
Um...yeah....they need to get with the times. Yes, safety and safe driving is important for kids/new drivers to understand, but the reality of safety features needs to be addressed as well. This is definitely a worst case scenario...which isn't very realistic with today's vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
FraTrepid said:
I like how it takes into account zero safety features that most cars today have and presents only a worst case scenario.
what fun would it be without unnecessary drama? :frenzy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
You know, the world we live in relies on fear alone to get points across. Not accurately represented information or actual events. I ran into a tree with my car at at least 55 mph and didn't have a scratch on me. Not that I'm saying I support people driving recklessly but you need to take into account the massive amount of safety features and how 9 time out of 10 you don't go directly into a tree.

JLWX5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Not to make light of kids who are killed in car accidents, but I think this is much more accurate for modern cars. Maybe in the 80’s when cars didn’t have the structural rigidity that cars had, had in previous decades, and didn’t have a fraction of the safety equipment that modern cars have, that extreme example would have happened.

At 1/10 of a second, the front bumper of the $30,000.00 SUV you took out a second mortgage on your house to buy your son/daughter for their 16th birthday collapses as a signal is sent to inflate the dual airbags. The seatbelt locking mechanism is just beginning to lock.


At 2/10 of a second the hood folds at the carefully engineered bend points, and the airbag begins to inflate.


At 3/10 of a second your son/daughter is held tightly in their seat by the seatbelt, their hands pulled away from the steering wheel by they airbag.

At 4/10 of a second the front of the car is has twisted around the tree, absorbing the impact and slowing the car more gradually as the engine and transmission slides under the passenger compartment as it contacts the tree.

At 5/10 of a second your kid's fear-frozen face and torso press into the airbag as it cushions their deceleration, as their warm sticky…latte splashes on the dash along with their brand new Razor phone as it also hits the dash and snaps in half.

At 6/10 of a second the impact sends the flip flops that your son/daughter wears because everyone on the old navy commercials wears them flying off their feet. The passenger compartment has remained mostly unscathed due to countless hours of computer testing and real life crash testing that have brought modern cars to a very respectable structural standard.

At 7/10 of a second, the front of the car twisted around the tree. The airbag has now lost most of its pressure, and the car settles on the ground. Your kid sits there as latte pours onto the floor. Your kids face has a blank look of confusion, as they have no idea what has just happened. The shock of what has just happened has yet to sink in. They do not yet realize that they have just destroyed a $30,000.00 piece of equipment, that they will have hugely increased insurance rates, a large ticket, and have to explain to everyone that they just did something very foolish, trying to do too many things at once while behind the wheel of a very expensive piece of machinery.

Please don't ever let your kids have to experience this! Studies have shown that teens are much safer drivers when they have actively involved parents. Please become very actively involved in your teen's life and driving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Dr5D said:


7/10 of a Second to Die
THIS IS A GRAPHIC REPRESENTATION OF WHAT HAPPENS IN AN ACCIDENT. IF THIS KIND OF INFORMATION BOTHERS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE!

It takes seven tenths of a second to kill a person on a vehicle crash. Studies at Yale and Cornell Universities provided a dramatic split second chronology of what happens when a car rams into a tree at 55 mph. To get an idea of this short amount of time, it takes approximately 2/10 of a second to blink! We suggest you picture your young son or daughter in the drivers seat.

At 1/10 of a second, the front bumper and grill collapse.


At 2/10 of a second the hood crumbles, rises, and smashes into the windshield while the grillwork disintegrates.


At 3/10 of a second your son/daughter is sprung upright from their seat, their knees break from being jammed under the dashboard, and the steering wheel bends and twist under their grip.


At 4/10 of a second the front of the car is destroyed and dead still, but the rear of the vehicle is still traveling at 55 mph. The half-ton motor impacts with the tree.


At 5/10 of a second your kid's fear-frozen hands bend the steering column into an almost vertical position as they are impaled on the steering wheel shaft. Jagged steel punctures their lungs and arteries.


At 6/10 of a second the impact rips the shoes you bought them off their feet. The vehicle chassis bends in the middle, and your kid's head is slammed into the windshield. The vehicle's rear end begins its downward fall as its spinning tires churn into the ground.


At 7/10 of a second, the entire body of the car is twisted grotesquely out of shape. In one final agonizing convulsion, the front seat rams forward pinning your kid against what used to be the steering wheel shaft and dashboard. Blood pours from their mouth, the result of massive internal injuries. Your kids face is torn into horrible lacerations from smashing through the windshield and almost every bone in their young body is broken. Shock has frozen your kids heart . . . but they don't mind . . . because they are already dead.


Please don't ever let your kids have to experience this! Studies have shown that teens are much safer drivers when they have actively involved parents. Please become very actively involved in your teen's life and driving!


this is a bit... over dramatic, no safety features, no seat belts... and um, is that dashboard made out of metal? ive seen accidents at DOUBLE that speed that turn out about as bad as that says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Hmmm most crashes now adays are car to car or roll overs/spin outs with wall impact.
and on the side note if you in a car doing 55 mph the organ inside the body will be double upon impact totaling 110 mph when they hit the chest cavity. That is the worst out come of the crash whats going on inside. crushed legs arms no big deal all fixable, even decpitation is repairable now.

Tho 24vsleeper you really did a good jonb on that edit I actually laughed about it. good job thats pretty much how it works some of the time :OP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
24vsleeper said:
Not to make light of kids who are killed in car accidents, but I think this is much more accurate for modern cars. Maybe in the 80’s when cars didn’t have the structural rigidity that cars had, had in previous decades, and didn’t have a fraction of the safety equipment that modern cars have, that extreme example would have happened.

At 1/10 of a second, the front bumper of the $30,000.00 SUV you took out a second mortgage on your house to buy your son/daughter for their 16th birthday collapses as a signal is sent to inflate the dual airbags. The seatbelt locking mechanism is just beginning to lock.


At 2/10 of a second the hood folds at the carefully engineered bend points, and the airbag begins to inflate.


At 3/10 of a second your son/daughter is held tightly in their seat by the seatbelt, their hands pulled away from the steering wheel by they airbag.

At 4/10 of a second the front of the car is has twisted around the tree, absorbing the impact and slowing the car more gradually as the engine and transmission slides under the passenger compartment as it contacts the tree.

At 5/10 of a second your kid's fear-frozen face and torso press into the airbag as it cushions their deceleration, as their warm sticky…latte splashes on the dash along with their brand new Razor phone as it also hits the dash and snaps in half.

At 6/10 of a second the impact sends the flip flops that your son/daughter wears because everyone on the old navy commercials wears them flying off their feet. The passenger compartment has remained mostly unscathed due to countless hours of computer testing and real life crash testing that have brought modern cars to a very respectable structural standard.

At 7/10 of a second, the front of the car twisted around the tree. The airbag has now lost most of its pressure, and the car settles on the ground. Your kid sits there as latte pours onto the floor. Your kids face has a blank look of confusion, as they have no idea what has just happened. The shock of what has just happened has yet to sink in. They do not yet realize that they have just destroyed a $30,000.00 piece of equipment, that they will have hugely increased insurance rates, a large ticket, and have to explain to everyone that they just did something very foolish, trying to do too many things at once while behind the wheel of a very expensive piece of machinery.

Please don't ever let your kids have to experience this! Studies have shown that teens are much safer drivers when they have actively involved parents. Please become very actively involved in your teen's life and driving!
I do appreciate that someone took the time to edit this to make it more realistic and less gruesome. As i said, because of my seatbelts and all of the above mentioned crush panels and bend points (also what the body shop guy told me) i made it out alive and only with some minor aching in the arms which my mom and dad (former RN's) told me was because my body was tensing up and from adrenaline forcing my arms to clench and try and avoid the accident. Also, the body shop manager said that cars these days are more primarily designed to absorb as much damage as possible. Imagine hitting the tree with a model T as 55 and then hitting the tree with a new intrepid with airbags, seatbelt locks, etc. Just some more stuff to think about from one of the many people on this site who have actually experienced this type of accident.

Josiah
 

·
get off my lawn
Joined
·
15,507 Posts
yes its a old study i rember joe friday on drag net saying it to a drunk once watch the old reruns, but still its something to think about sure,, new cars are safer but.. what about the drivers?? a accident is a accident no matter what,,
just 3 cents worth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,960 Posts
That's disturbing, I had to stop reading it ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Like I said before, I know kids do some stupid things behind the wheel, but the example they gave sounds like a wreck in an old car at a speed higher then 55, and the driver was not wearing a seatbelt. If you drive by a high school these days, most cars that you see parked there were made within the past 15 years, and even if you’re driving a 91 Taurus it has a crumble zone, probably has an airbag, and of course has a seatbelt. The example they gave of the 55 mph tree hit isn’t far off of what the insurance institute for highway safety does with their offset crash tests, and you rarely get a car that does poorly in those now. So while the original scenario is a great way to make you think about might happen, but if you’re wearing your seatbelt it’s very unlikely that you’ll kill yourself. The most that I think would happen is the floor deforming and breaking your foot, lower leg, or knee.
Now if you want to see something really disturbing, look at how Chevy Astro mini-vans, and Toyota Previa mini-vans did in crash tests. I think the thought of some poor soccer mom being in an accident in one of these to be a lot more sobering then a kid hitting a tree with his midsized car or SUV.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
JLWX5 said:
i made it out alive and only with some minor aching in the arms which my mom and dad (former RN's) told me was because my body was tensing up and from adrenaline forcing my arms to clench and try and avoid the accident. Josiah
This reminds me of another study I have seen that states the easiest way to have an accident is to be drunk but at the same time the best way to survive an accident unscathed is to be drunk. I belive it was explained something like this, the same slowed reflexs that probably caused the accident are too slow to realize what is happening and react to the accident. Therefore instead of panicing and tensing up as you hit, you are still calm and relaxed when the accident is taking place, a tense (sober body) breaks/injures easier than a limp relaxed body (drunk). That is why you often see or hear of drunks being in spectacular crashes and either walking away under thier own power or in some cases being the only survivor.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top