DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
I'm having an issue with my car not wanting to shift into overdrive. I get 1-2 and 2-3. I took it to two different local transmission shops and they told me the TPS voltage is too high. I get code 24 TPS voltage too high as well with no codes on the TCM. I've replaced the PCM with same results. and of course I replaced the TPS with correct mopar part. My voltage is .9v on the or/db wire. seems a little high, is that correct? I've also tested the wiring harness from PCM to connector and my resistance is at an ohm or less. Im stumped on this any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,332 Posts
Does the TPS output signal (ORG/DK BLU wire) vary with throttle position? What does it read at idle and at full-throttle positions.

Sorry - I don't have any hands-on experience with 1st gen. What do the FSM and/or Troubleshooting Manual give as proper voltage readings from idle to full throttle?

What do you measure at BLK/LT BLU (sensor ref.) and VIO/WHT (sensor 5 volts)?

Know anybody with a DRB scanner to read the voltages that the PCM is actually seeing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The signal wire voltage does vary with throttle position. I cant remember the voltage, but it is within specs. I cannot find what the voltage should be at idle in the FSM. The 5v wire is 5.01v
I do not know of anyone with a DRB. when I took it to the transmission shops they said that they use a snap on with those capabilities. I am currently using a snap-on MT2500 to read codes and do basic stuff. On the mt2500 it says that it should not be over .8v Would the PCM reading high voltage on the middle signal wire make it not want to shift into OD? From what I've read limp mode is only 1-2 but I get 3rd gear just no overdrive.

·
Premium Member
18,332 Posts
What do you read on BLK/LT BLU (sensor ref.)? It should be 0 volts or very close to it. If that were high (due to a poor connection?), it will offset the TPS output similarly. Beyond that, I've gone about as far as I can with help on this.

·
Premium Member
18,332 Posts
Strangely, the manual I have says code 24 could be TPS output high or low. Maybe the readers tell you which?

Rectangle Font Magenta Number Paper product

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i'll just throw this out there.
maybe it's a weak ground.
if someone has a wiring diagram to tell you the ground to check would help.
or something not right in the tcm.
since it uses the signal to choose shifting.
imagine the lock on the torque converter isn't working either.
good thing is you have a code reader for a first gen before obd2.
that's rare.
hope you rectify it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll double check the reference wire later for voltage but from what I can remember it was 0v. The code 24 that showed up was sensor voltage high. Thanks for your help Peva

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Yevrah. Ill double check the ground. I'm almost tempted to cut the ground wire at the PCM and splice into it to see if my voltage drops. I know it also supplies the map signal but at least I could rule that out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: So i was messing around with the wiring and there is a connector on the right side (passenger) that the pins on the Or/bl and blk/bl where a little loose. I was able to get a pick in there and press down on those connectors to get .8v however it still didn't want to shift. I spliced into the wiring and it was still getting the same volts So my final try before I pulled my hair out was to replace the TCM. I found a new refurb unit on ebay, popped it in and wouldn't you know it started shifting fine. I was relieved to say the least. wasn't sure what I was going to do if that didn't work. The car has 56,000 miles and is mint with no rust. The previous owner got rid of it because they didn't know how or want to fix it. BTW this has been an issue for me for a year and a half, I just kept going back to the TPS voltage but in fact those transmission shops were partially wrong . Just thought I would post this in case it helps someone else out in the future.

·
Premium Member
18,332 Posts
Wow! Very good. You beat it into submission! 👍

Reactions: Larsky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't tell you, but could have been a bad ground to the tcm? For some reason chrysler put the ground screws over paint. I used a dremel with a wire brush to take off the paint and screwed the eyelet down to bare metal on all grounds. Who knows for sure though. It might rust under on bare metal so I may have to keep an eye on it. I may put some silicone lube over the top of it to prevent that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I couldn't tell you, but could have been a bad ground to the tcm?
I was thinking more along the lines of failing capacitors or cracked solder joints. Reason I asked is my 94 Concorde still has the factory TCM - I've never had to meddle with it - same for the rest of the body electronics. It's the complete opposite of your 93 Trep - high miles (nearly 300 000 kilometers) and significant body rust along the rocker panels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts