DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 dodge intrepid with a blown 2.7 (second Gen)
I have a 93 dodge intrepid first gen with a 3.5 and a transmission i want to swap over.
My question is can i jus drop both sub frames with engines and transmissions still attache. It looks like the frame that holds the engine and transmission should just drop straight out the bottom once various lines and other components disconnected.

Is this a relatively hard task?
i do have over 5 years mechanical experience however i have never taken a problem like this.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,496 Posts
Not possible without extreme modification. If the 3.5 you had was a 98-01 model year, you could do it pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Youd have to do an absolutely insane amount of custom wiring to make it work. Get a 2nd gen 3.2 or 3.5 since it will be much easier in the end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man I'm in a pickle then haha.
I just spent 400 on that 98 2g
are there any techs on this?
I do have the time if need be to custom the wireing.
So what are the differences between a 93 3.5 and a 98 3.5?
I do have my own shop. I can custom fabricate anything needed and have experience in electrical. I don't mind the work and love custom jobs. If there is anything anybody can think about on such a project. please let me know. i'm more than eager to get on this and make it work.

I do realize that there are easier routs to take on this project. But this is what i have to work with.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
1G 3.5 has an iron block, and 2G is aluminum. Youd have to get all the sensors from a 2nd gen 3.5 so you might as well buy the engine as well

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,496 Posts
If there is anything anybody can think about on such a project. please let me know. i'm more than eager to get on this and make it work.
Frankly, my thoughts are it would be a waste of time. Not worth the extreme amount of extra work for the power/performance you would have, which would be almost less than the 2.7. Get a 98-01 3.2/5, you will thank yourself, very easy bolt in and swap.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
^^....x2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I looked further into it.. and the open frount half of my wrecked 1g with the 3.5..
(I might put up the pics for a laugh)
Your right daytrepper.

I'll find a 98-01 3.5 at pull a part next week. There's a few in town.
But what about the transmission? Its a 42le I pulled from a 95 (I believe) 2g. It was almost brandnew and had and upgrade from what I was told. All I know on it is has the two chains in the back and shifts real ez. I have the brain, cluster, and AS shifter as well. The 98 does'nt have AS. Can I use mine?

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
The only thing you can do with your transmission is to use the mechanical part in your second gen, with a few minor changes... but none of the rest of it will do anything for you. There were some major changes in 1996, and then again in 1998, then some minor changes in 2001/2002 (not an expert there)... the 2001/2002 change is easily overcome with a few parts, but the other changes are WAY to major to bother undertaking, no matter how custom you like to be. The change in 1996 was from OBDI to OBDII, causing wiring and sensor changes for the engine, but the transmission systems are all the same...

Got pictures of either car? We'd like to see them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.