DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

94 3.3L TREP vs 1995 CIVIC 2.0 W/HEADERS?? Who wins???!!!

3K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  THIRD DAY 
#1 ·
Ok, I have this coworker, that has this CIVIC with headers, body kit,intake, and some other rice parts...he wants to race me on the track...

My car is a 3.3L car with 16" rims, Goodyear assurance 215/60/R16

How do you guys think it will win? I believe I can smoke him, but just want to know my chances...

The race is this Thursday! So your comments will be greatly appreciated!!

#4 ·
If he has a JDM 2.OL engine, you may be toast. His Civic is obviously not stock. (The most powerful engine in the 1995 Civic was the 125HP 1.6L.) With headers/intake on a 2.O, he may run a 16-second 1/4 mile. At best. your going to run low 17s.
Well, there's only one way to find out...

#5 ·
hes not going to have a 2.0 in that honda, if he were to have a swap it would be a B16 or B18, it should be close, i lose to my friend who has a D motor in his and he has intake, exhaust and some fuel work done, by 1-2 cars off the line and he has a 99 Civic

#10 ·
Thanks for hitting me straight with reality!

I kind of expected the answers you just brought, however, I'm in too deep as for now, so I will race him for my honor (even if he smokes me) and for experience of it, I've never race on a track. However, I won't die easy...I will ditch the extra weight, a/c belt (even will remove my a/c compressor as it's not working at this moment, spare tire, tools, wax on her, will practice my launch, ...Anymore tricks/tips you can provide?

#12 ·
Weight will definitely be you enemy here. A 95 civic weighs over 800 pounds less then the 3.3 Intrepid, so even with the 125 hp engine it has a better power to weight ratio. I say just give it you best shot, if you’re doing a quarter mile run at least he’ll probably have to shift one more time then you do, so I guess that might help a little. Also if he did the intake and headers, he might have not done much to the engine it’s self, so it might not have much more power then stock. Regardless just have fun with it, after all he’s trying to race an entry level midsized family sedan with his little “tuner car”.

#15 ·
The civic is lighter yes but headers and intake are only gonna boost his car maybe 10hp max. Stock civics run about 120hp(i think), i know its not much. The civics dont get there boost until higher rpms just like most imports so if you can catch him at low rpms before you hit 60-70 youll have the race. It will probably come down to who gets off the line better. Im gonna say the intrepid.

#18 ·
Evil, Illegal, whats the difference these days?

As much as I want to say the trep, I don't know about his mods enough to say for sure so I'm going to withold judgement on this.

#20 ·
White Intrepid said:
It's all in the launch and weight. The mid size V6 does have the torque and horsepower to beat him. Just have to make sure the tires don't smoke, time the shifts just before red to catch the top of the torque curve and remove anything that does not need it be in the car.

I vote for the 'Trepid!
tires smoke? shift just before red? HAHAHA you're funny.. I have seen a corolla with headers and intake SMOKE a modified 3.8 V6 camaro. U aint got a chance.

#21 ·
White Intrepid said:
It's all in the launch and weight. The mid size V6 does have the torque and horsepower to beat him. Just have to make sure the tires don't smoke, time the shifts just before red to catch the top of the torque curve and remove anything that does not need it be in the car.

I vote for the 'Trepid!
The midsize V6 may outpower, and out torque his 4-CYL..

But... Did you forget?

It's sitting in a 3500+ LB CAR!

G
#22 ·
I'm gonna go with the Intrepid 3.3L.

I have a Turbo MR2, 3SGTE 2.0L Turbo engine, small mods (THE REAL TUNER engine) pushing about 200 HP.
Due to shifting delays 3.5L will catch it off the start by 1 or 2 car lengths. I've tried it.
Once that MR2 catches 3rd and 4th gear 3.5L is toasted with butter.
But 2.0L Civic that you will be racing is in fact having shifting delays just like my MR2. And - given that it's a 1/4 mile race, 3.3L will come out on top in the beginning and pushing it hard enough might not allow the Civic to come out in front by the end of the
finish line, even though Civic will be catching up to you after he hits 3rd, 4th..
So yea, in the 1/2 miles race he would beat you, but I don't think he has enough time to catch you in 1/4.

Intrepid.

#25 ·
when i launch my 3.3 i go around 3-4 Rpms ( i think, i normally dont pay attention) But ya i think your gonna beat that honda. my buddies on the dyno put out 127hp to the wheels and he made more stuff done to his civic then that guy, but if he has the DOHC 1.6 VTEC or the DOHC 1.8 VTEC, your gonna get smoked.

G
#26 ·
No way. 1/8 on a track, you will win.
In 1/2 mile you'd loose. But I can see a win coming.
People forget that Horsepower sells cars.
TORQUE wins races.
And that Civic's torque curve is so flat you could Iron your wife's nightgown on it.

And remember: DO NOT rev in Neutral and then drop into gear. This will just send tires spinning and no traction. Static friction has much higher coefficient than kinetic friction. Besides the fact that you can blow something up.
Keep it in drive. I think your converter stall speed is around 2500. SO what I do Is I rev the engine up to 2000 while keeping my foot on the brake then just launch by releasing the brake and smoothly go to WOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.