DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a 94 audi cabriolet on craigslist for $500 the guy said he replaced the water pump and the car wouldnt start, so after so research i found the pump IS timing belt drivin so my guess is he set the timing wrong, this is also a interference engine so my question is would him cranking the engine with timing being off cause any internal engine damage? i know it would forsure if the belt broke while driving, bent valves/broken seals?

ive sent him an email asking more on the cars history and weather the WP went out while driving or he was replacing as part of maintenance

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
Not familiar with the 2.8......$500 car someone "tried" to fix....I always would assume the worst, in any case....you might get lucky and it was just mis-timed...or some other stupid issue.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always would assume the worst, in any case....you might get lucky and it was just mis-timed...or some other stupid issue.
assuming the worst will never let you down, only be that much better if its not as bad as you expected :D

and im guessing their is no way possible to test if the engine is damaged without it starting? is their a way to test compression or anything or would it really be hit or miss

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
assuming the worst will never let you down, only be that much better if its not as bad as you expected :D

and im guessing their is no way possible to test if the engine is damaged without it starting? is their a way to test compression or anything or would it really be hit or miss
Well you can test compression...but here is what I would do...

Buy the car...(use in negotiating---well the damn thing might need a new engine, so i'll give ya $200) rip the timing belt off....re-do it correctly...if it didnt start, do basic electric/fuel troubleshoot, then check the compression if nothing was found otherwise. From my experience with other belt-timed V6 engines, they arent for the faint of heart timing wise...

Mechanics' #1 rule...never trust another mechanic! Ive learned this one well. ALWAYS start from scratch.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good ideas ill also get the price of a timing belt/WP from an audi dealer and throw that in their as well, and if i go to see him ill also be "observent" to whether he is a mech trying to pawn off his loss or a rook who just got in over his head on what he thought was just changing a few bolts and belt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts