DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently my parents gave me their 94 concorde Vin T 3.3L, which they bought new in 94. It has 137,000 miles on it and seems to have an incurable stall at idle and low speed driving. I have fixed all the engine code problems which were(misfire in the ignition system, and oxygen sensor malfunction). The car runs and drives fine for the most part. I decided recently that I'd do a major tune up and put wires, plugs, ignition coil pack, egr valve & solenoid, fuel pump, throttle position sensor, camshaft sensor, crank sensor, and idle air control valve, (Also installed a drivetrain control module, but the car seemed to run worse with it installed, so I put the old one back on)hoping that in some way I'd significantly help or eliminate this problem. Thus far, I've not been able to do that, at idle or low speeds the car literally chokes out...it idles normal for a while, but then the rpm gauge just keeps getting lower and lower until it reaches about 500 or slightly below rpms then the engine oil lamp comes on and it dies. Also sometimes at highway speeds the car seems to shutter as though the engine is almost coughing( only for a split second)...sometimes it will do this at low speeds also. *engine light never illuminates* I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong with this car. It's been stalling out on my parents since 98, but they live in a much smaller town than I do and it wasn't a bother to them. I really need some input on this because it's too clean of a car to throw away or trade off for something minor( if indeed this is a minor problem. Any input anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. My email is wisconsin_cheese_is_good2005yahoo.com

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A couple of items that you may or may not have gotten to: pcv valve and fuel filter. My first guess from the initial symptoms was the egr valve but you replaced it, so that's out. I automatically eliminated the IAC motor because it shouldn't case low speed stalling, just idling issues. But you replaced that too, so definately out. Hmm..

A few questions. Is it temperature related, like warm engine, cold engine? How about weather related, cold outside, hot, damp weather, rain, snow, etc.. What codes were you getting anyway? You mention "misfire in the ignition system". If it was a misfire code, they don't always mean an ignition system issue. My wife's sebring kept throwing a misfire code on cyl #5 and after much work (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, fuel filter, a couple relays), the issue still wasn't fixed. The garage and I suspected a bad fuel injector, and I had them swap the #5 injector to the #6 cylinder and don't you know, the misfire turned up on the #6 right after. Misfire codes come up anytime there is an incomplete combustion event. It could be as easy as a bad plug wire or as major as a blown head gasket. Any other things you can think of to further detail the issue will help get some diagnosis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

I did replace the pcv valve about a week ago; I just forgot to mention it, and my father says they've replaced the fuel filter sometime in the past definitely after all of this started. The codes that I can remember it having are a code 12: battery disconnect code, code 21: oxygen sensor voltage to computer not fluctuating, and the other had something to do with a misfire, but I don't see it listed in my repair manual and do not remember the number off hand. The problem seems to only occur when the engine is at normal operating temperatures, or when it is fairly warm outside(it will still do it when it's cooler out, but not as often; then again some day's it runs just fine with no problems, but those days are rare). In any case, the engine light will not illuminate when this event occurs so I'm clueless as to where to start. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who had been experiencing this, but maybe this is less common than I had hoped for. I know this isn't much, but it's all I know. I appreciate your help, and hope that this info can help to better identify what might be causing this to happen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts