DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i decided to buy my friends 94 Intrepid off him for the engine and transmission.. i gave him 300$ for the entire car and it runs great, he hit a deer and totaled out the front end.. I have many questions and would love some replies..

1. When driving the 94 Intrepid (3.5L) at full acceleration when shifting from 1st to 2nd i get this sound from the engine that sounds like i shut the key off while holding the throttle at wide open..... i cant really explain it but it is odd.. maybe like on a carbed engine when the fire stops and you've got the throttle wide open.. was curious what this is, and why it does it.. my 96 (3.5L) did not do this..

2. My 96 Intrepid has a broken piston so i'm doing the swap of the 94 engin/trans into my 96.. should i take the ECM TCM, and BCM from the 94 and put it in the 96 also..? My 96 is OBD 1.

3. Is there a way to determine what gears are in my transmission by any means other than taking them out and measuring them.. My 96 did not have the pull, and torque the 94 has.. this 94 flat out grabs and goes hard.. my 96 was nice but it was nothing like the 94... the 94 has 16" wheels also and the 96 has 15" wheels.

4. I've read some info about nitrous and would like to know what is the best route i should take on doing this.. i've decided i'll run 50 - 75 shot but need to know if wet or dry is best..

5. My friend also has a MSD DIS-4 for sell so i figured i would buy it, he said he'll give it to me for 50$ with the two 8912 adapters he has. any links on how to wire this up??

6. I'm also planing on doing an AutoStick converstion IF i can on my 96.. :p

Well thats all for now, mainly concerned about the Number 1 issue if anyone can help...

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't answer all, and some people might know firsthand, but:

2. All '96 and newer are OBDII (and some late '95s too). Depending on where you live and require emission testing, you need the '96 stuff. They usually hook it up to a computer to test.

3. All 3.5L had the same gearing, although if he had a tranny or gear swap for the 2.7L gears, then it would be different.

6. You'd need a TCM and all related gear for a Auto Stick swap (shifter, instrument cluster, etc.), but the tranny is the same. There are How-tos floating around.

Couldn't answer all, as mine is still VERY factory except the 2.7 gears.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i found out something just a bit ago.. my title says it is a 96 but i gave the VIN to the dealership in my town and it says 95.. some kind of mixup?? the title and car have the same VIN listed... most of everything you said i already know.. i know the 94 had a transmission swap but was just curious how i could tell if it had the 3.89 gears without taking them out.. as for the autostick i know all of that too. just trying to find the setup for a first gen :(

J

·
0 Posts
Put it in Drive. Accelerate slowly. (Under 1200 RPMs). Car will shift into 2nd.
If your speedo is closer to 12 mph, you got SE gearing. If your speedo is actually very close to 10mph, you got normal gearing.

This is just what I noticed on mine after 3.89 swap.

J

·
0 Posts
As far as A/S swap goes..

Find A/S cluster, Find A/S Shifter and bezel, find A/S TCM.
That's it. I got mine for about $200.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JE.Electronics said:
As far as A/S swap goes..

Find A/S cluster, Find A/S Shifter and bezel, find A/S TCM.
That's it. I got mine for about $200.
Heh, I promise i wont spend that much, and i know what i need.. just have to find it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts