DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting this miss only at idle. I pumped out the gas. It looked good. I filled up with good premium gas and it still is happening. Fuel pressure is 54PSI. plugs are new. Wires new last year. Starts right up . Idle Speed Valve replaced last year also. Runs good going down the road. But every now and then it will miss while at a stop light. It will miss then idle good then miss again , then might idle good for thew rest of the day. It does it hot or cold, wet or dry out.
Any Ideas?
Jeff K.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Could be:
Map sensor.
sticking injector.
Coil.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I'd also clean out you IAC and Throttle Body with some cleaner. Also put on a new PCV valve while your at it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
possibly you have dirty injectors. When my '94 started having a slight miss at idle only, it was just enough to feel the occassional little shake. If it's a violent kick in the pants shake, then it would be ignition related. I put two cans of Sea Foam in the tank and filled 'er up. I didn't fill up again until that tank was nearly empty. After that the mighty 3.3 idled smooth as silk, a baby's butt, or a granite surface plate.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I thought I read about a TSB involving the spark plug gaps on the first gens and idle issues. I'll search the NHTSA site and see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is some more data. I pulled the ECM and cleaned the connectors, I cleaned the battery terminals and the alternator plug. For the first time I now get a 55 at the end of the code and not a 54. I have 21 inches of vacuum at idle. Compared to my 96 3.5l it seems to roll over about 1 turn more before it starts, but it does start right up at that point. New spark plugs this week, New wires last year, new Idle speed valve last year, New O2 sensors two years ago. I checked and they are working. 54psi of fuel pressure at idle, I can vent the fuel with the pressure gauge into a container and it still holds 25psi . The gas looks great ,no water.
This miss/stumble has been going on for a few years. Sometimes it runs for months before it happens. There is a ticking coming from the cam area(using my mechanic's Stethoscope) Not sure if it is the injectors. as I ease the gas on I get a slight purr-rump noise from 900 to 1100 rpm then it is quiet. I though a slight case of spark knock. I added 94 octane gas and it is still there.
At ilde in drive at a light it has a miss/stumble then it recovers. it may do it once or it may do it several times. Rarely it will shake and miss real bad and knock.
I am realy at a loss on this one. My daughter does not trust it anymore to drive. I was thinking bad gas, but the gas looks good. Maybe a sticky lifter? injector?
Jeff K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Items for tomorrow;
Add Rislone to oil run for awhile and change again.
Check plug wires
Check coil.
Check on Sea Foam I have not seen that in this area, Michigan. I have always used Chevron Techron with good results.
In future Pull injectors
pull EGR
Pull Ilde speed valve

Can anyone think of anything else/ the car only has 124K on it.
Thanks again
Jeff K.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Has the transmission ever been worked on?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
jedgxe said:
Jeff K has a 3.3
Yeah I know but the 3.3 and 3.5 are pretty close motors. Besides, a gapping issue will have that affect no matter what motor it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dodgerunner said:
Has the transmission ever been worked on?
Yes it was rebuilt last year. But this problem goes back a few years before that.
OK, I went out this morning and drained 2 quarts of oil(I had just changed it 1 week ago. I added the quart of Rislone and one Quart of new 10W30. I also added Chevron Techtron to the tank. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and pulled two plug wires at the coil pack(wires were replaced last year also) The ends looked great and still had the silicone lube on them. Then I checked the wire loom at the back of the right hand Cylinder head as per the "ALERT! 3.3L 1 Gen owners with weird problems" thread that I found last night. I pushed and wiggled it a bit. I then started it up. It ran perfectly. The engine quieted right down. Smooth ilde. 54 psi at ilde, pulled the vacuum and it went to 60 psi. I shut it down and left it sit for 20 minutes. After a few minutes the Fuel pressure went up to 60 psi. Normal heat soak. After 20 minutes it was still above 56 psi. I think I can rule out the injectors leaking. I had used gunk engine flush and then changed the oil last time(10W30). I also had added 1/2 bottle of STP. The oil I drained after a week was dark already. Lot of high rev runs and driving in 3. It was 29 degrees this morning. The motor might be in better condition then I thought and the STP was not needed. I will changed it again in two weeks and add The Rislone again. A couple of older Mechanics that I know swear by the stuff.
At this point I am starting to lean towards a intermittant electrical problem. If it keeps on running good, I will pull the intake and pull that harness apart in the back of the motor and check the wires in 2 weeks.
Jeff K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts