DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I'm a newbie on these boards, so bear with me. Here's the deal...my '95 ES is in need of some horses. Buschman's '95, which was featured as IOM for Oct. 2001, has a superchip. He also claims his car is an R/T, which I'm pretty sure were not produced until '98, but that's not really important. Now, I've looked everywhere, but nobody has a superchip for the '95 3.5L. I've even e-mailed the good folks over at www.superchips.com about it and they informed me that the computer on my car cannot be upgraded. Does anybody have any further information on this? I'm dying for a superchip or some other way for me to boost HP significantly without doing significant mods the car. I'm also looking for a cat-back exhaust or if that's n/a, a high performance muffler. Do you guys recommend I just go to a performance shop and see what they can do? I want to do this stuff myself, and this being only my second car, I'm willing to dig in and make a few mistakes. I'd appreciate any input!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I suggest you do a search on chips and exhaust. You should be able to find quite a bit of info.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there, done that.

I've looked everywhere on the internet...remember that Earthlink DSL commercial where the guy is on the internet, and a message comes up that says, "You've reached the end of the Internet. You've seen everything there is to see. Please go back...NOW!" That's me...I've done an exhaustive search (excuse the pun), and I've come up empty on these two things. Very little in the form of bolt on, no-mod required stuff is available for this car. I mean, you've got your bras, your ventshades, and various other ho-hum stuff, but when it comes to the serious stuff that requires lots of money/experience to research, I'm afraid that most companies just aren't interested in our 1st gens. I really wanted to get my feet wet when it comes to performance mods, but I guess I'm just going to have to take the car over to the local performance shop and see what they can do. MSD ignition sounds good, and I could put in some Bosch Platinum +4's and 8mm wires. I just wish I could find one or two things that I can put on that'll give me a 20HP+ boost.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OKay here is what you can do. and here is my estimates on

Custom INtake=$100 kNN Maybe 8 hp

Then Exhaust= Price may Varey
the most 3hp

Then ASE Chip= They claim 30 hp

theh TB SPacers= i think someone said 5 hp i dont know the price for these

thats about it :baaa:

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Superchips are only for the 93 and 94 since they switched to OBDII in 95. The cheapest route for exhaust is to remove the muffler under the middle of the car and keep the twin tipped "resonator" (its actually a low restriction turbo style muffler) as your primary muffler. I did it, it sounds pretty damn good. As for the TB spacers. They add a good bit of pick up at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and my gas mileage has gone up a good bit. Some other mods are plugs wires and an ignition module. Champion gold seems to run best in these cars although they are hard to find. 94IntrepidES has the MSD DIS-4, search the 1st gen forums and you'll see all the info on it. Other than that its up to you to find/make your own mods. These cars have just started to develop a small aftermarket. Good luck with your trep.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
hey, stevedemon, I got a 95 3.5 myself and I was looking for ideas on modifications for my car too. I, however, have 103K miles on my car. Anyways, probably one of the most modified (for speed) first gen's belongs to 94IntrepidES. Check out his site http://www.dodgenut.com By the way, he is the guy that makes the throttle body spacers and I think he said they are like 97 dollars. He has some nice mods on the motor, check it out. There is also a guy on http://www.cardomain.com who claims to be making 289 horsepower from his first gen, but he is off the scale on pimped3point3's bullshhht scale. Good luck on the mods and welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The company that makes the TB spacers is called "Power-aid" I believe.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yeah, 94IntrepidES does not make them. PowerAid makes them, they are based in Scottsdale, AZ.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips and the very kind welcome. I'd definately look into putting some Eibach Sport springs on this bad boy, but my g/f's driveway is too steep for me to allow it. I could bear the Chicago winters, but the driveway is just too much. Besides, suspension work is not something I know how to do (actually, it scares the bejeezus out of me). Maybe some hydros would do the trick...:D (now I'm really dreaming!).

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
stevedemon said:
Maybe some hydros would do the trick...:D (now I'm really dreaming!).
Pshh, go all out and get airbag suspension. ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
stevedemon, get the bags instead of hydros they only run about 3000 installed with two pumps and a 5gal tank, I'm thinking about getting them for my car

·
Registered
263 Posts
Stevedemon,

Buschman's '95 has custom R/T stickers on it, but the R/T wasn't released until 2000 on the 2nd generation model. That doesn't stop his car from being one of the best 1st gens I've ever seen (!).

You have to be very careful with superchip mods for the 1st gen, since only a few years have one available (and it is different from the 3.3 to the 3.5L).

Exhaust-wise, you *could* cut the muffler off and keep the resonator, but I wouldn't advise it. I did this last year and found that it resulted in a loss of performance (long-term), whereas my new mod (similar to Argus, with a split pipe after the main cat into dual exhaust) resulted in the performance I was looking for with an exhaust modification.

I live in the Chicago area (NW burbs)... if you would like to get together and talk shop, compare notes sometime... contact me, or give me your contact info and I'll get a hold of you...

_Rarewolf

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rarewolf, Stevedemon, we should all get together and talk shop, I would like to learn some things too

·
Registered
581 Posts
Keene-Bell makes chips for the intrepid. For other info check my site, more data coming soon.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Umm... Yeah... Let's not post on threads that are seven months old... Yeah...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sent you an e-mail, rarewolf. I'm in Aurora, if you guys are interested in meeting somewhere halfway. If either of you know where Randall Rd is, I can meet anywhere along there and pretty much know where I'm at. My g/f lives in Carpentersville, near Dundee and Algonquin, so I know that whole area. Let me know, guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts