DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 intrepid is having major running issues. When I go to start it, I have to crank for a few second before it fires up. Once its running, it loops at low idle (around 500rpms). When I leave a stop, you can hear what sounds like a fuel knock but then it picks up and goes but while driving you can feel a jerk or miss. I checked the plugs and found that the left bank plugs seem to be running hot and the right side plugs where all covered in carbon build up. Through all of this, the check engine light DOES NOT come on. I changed the plugs, plug wires, and coil...with nothing helping. So after surfing this site, I went and changed the idle air control valve, the throttle position sensor, and camshaft sensor. All this and nothing as helped at all still. Also the air filter is new. At this point, Im ready to smash my head through the windshield of this car but I need to get me back and forth to school, so any other suggestions would be great at this point.:baseballbat:

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
To add to the list is check the fuel filter as well. If it is partially clogged up the symptoms can be seen.

The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the car, just right before the passenger side rear wheel mounted to the under carriage of the car..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Everything Eagle listed is worth a good check especially the lower intake gasket. What type of plugs did you put in? Anything other than Champion coppers and this may be the problem, however, I would also lean towards a vac leak.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check the vaccuum hose ffrom the fuel pressure regulator. Ifr there is fuel in the host the regulator diaphram is ruptured and it will run rich on one bank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fuel pressure regulator seems like a better guess. Since my post, Ive still had to drive the car even with the issues. It has a strong smell of fuel while driving, plus it went through an entire tank of gas after a 100 miles. But I finally bit the bullet and went to a dealership. They are giving me $1000 for the car as a trade in which is way more then I expected. So now Im upgrading to a Dodge Caliber.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I would bet the farm it is a leaking injector o-ring. Hence the strong gas smell, fuel loss, and long cold cranks.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't have a farm to bet but I think you could be right. He got screwed, they may have told him they gave him $1000 but they gave him squat and now he is stuck with a note.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,280 Posts
A Dodge Caliber is an "Upgrade" ? :hit:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the sell isnt final yet. With the way this interpid is running and all the other issues it has, anything is an upgrade at this point, lol.
'
How exactly would I know which injector is the leaker? Pull them all?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Tell us about the intrepid, mileage etc.

If the mileage is up there I'd replace the o-rings on all the injectors and the fuel lines too. Its like 16 o-rings altogether and probably $20. Id also do the upper and lower intake gaskets for another $10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the fuel pressure regulator was the main culprit of my problems. I started the car and disconnected the vaccum line from the FPR and it was spewing fuel. Once i got the intake plum off, the intake was saturated with fuel. Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully this solves the motor problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts