DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - my 95 LHS has been great to me until now...when I drive it, the power door locks activate on and off in concert with the interior lights. After 10 minutes of driving, the dood open message light on the dash comes on and the car alarm will also activate on its own when it is parked. I checked all of the fuses (interior and under the hood) and they are fine. ANy ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would imagine one of your door latch sensor is bad or has a bad connection. That would be why it would say the door is open ok lights on, the door is closed ok lights go off, driving the car, 1995/94? may or maynot have the automatic door lock engage at driving speeds. Parked with the doors locked same thing, at some point it thinks the door was opened so off the alarm goes.

Other possibility is something screwy with the bcm but the door latch's sensors/switch seems more likely probably one of the high traffic doors, drivers or passengers rather than the rear doors but anything is possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes complete sense...thanks for the tip. How do I go about checking to see if the sensor is bad? If you can tell me where to look I can get in there and check. SOunds like a good SUnday afternoon project...

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's a tought one, first if your going to do this yourself a copy of your pinouts for the door and the color code for the open door 'trigger' wire along with a multimeter would be required. You might start with checking the connection of the trigger wire to the bcm or junction box wherever it connects to the bcm from the doors to make sure it isn't loose there.

The switch mechanism is going to be either the 'catch mechanism' in the door that grabs the handle on the frame or something close to that inside the door. You should be able to see a similar device in the trunk latch, to get a better idea of how it looks of course it will be inside the door. You can fake close them by inserting the tip of a phillips head screwdriver into the catching mechanism in the door and pushing it towards the door's shell until the clasp closes around it and the screwdriver can move no further 'into' the door.

The problem with checking the door panels, each or any is to get the one that is causing the problems to do it while your working on it.

One way would be to bypass the latch sw itself and hardwire the door 'closed' with a wire jumper so that particular latch sw doesn't actually get to say the door is open when you close or fake close the other doors with the screwdriver. That is assuming you can do that inside the door, ie there is space etc.
Then you have to either let the car sit and see if the problem shows up or shake the car to try and get one of the other latches to 'open a door' in order to rule out that latch/sw as the problem. Doing that for every door until one of the latches you take out of the loop with the wire jumper results in no 'open door' when they are all 'closed' with the screw driver or the jumper.

You could also try the bypass before the door, where the door's wires come into the frame and hookup the bypass by splicing into the wires there but there will be little room and you will have to either cut the wire to tap into them or burn/scrape off the insulation to do the same thing then reseal them, e-tape or liquid rubber/insulator, when you are done.

If you happen to see or feel the connector is loose or damaged that would save you a lot of trouble, but you probably won't be that lucky.

If your not up to that or someone here doesn't have a better idea then taking it in to the dealer might be your best or only other alternative, they may or may not be able to use their computer to find out which door is showing open. I only know I would not want to try and check the doors myself if my method above is the only way to DIY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that is what I call detailed instructions...I'll give it a shot as I believe it is the front driver door, and worst case scenario I can take it to the dealer in the morning. I owe you one for the advice...thanks a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts