DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aside from a few minor things that aren't importent right now, I am having trouble with my 95 trep, she wont start unless I pump the gas, and after starting sounds real weak and shakey, it'll die unless I hold the gas down for a few seconds, but AFTER starting the car runs FLAWLESSLY.

Any ideas guys? It's really annoying me :( :dogpuppy:

Edit - Oh yes (not partaining to the starting trouble, has been like that for a bit now..), I had two (2!) accidents on Monday (Blizzard, 1ft snow in 5 hours...) that were entirely the other driver's fault (1st slid on the slush and pushed me into the median! He drove off!! :boid: ), and the other was when I was pulling into my driveway, he slid into the same side. His insurance is repairing my passenger-side quarterpanel.

All in all, I have a smashed rear bumper and a obliterated passenger-side tail light, but that's all, no body damage.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?

How's the fuel pressure?

Is the fuel rail leaking (free recall fix from the Dealer).

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Also check the plugs, make sure they got the right gap. And clean out the Throttle Body and IAC too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>> Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?
No. It's the same as it was when I got it four months ago.

>> How's the fuel pressure?
I don't know how to check this, but if it's with the BCM, I'm using a Eagle Vision BCM (Premium for the OTIS), do the treps and the EV's use the same checking system? (On, off ,on, off, on?)

>> Is the fuel rail leaking (free recall fix from the Dealer).
I don't think so, but that reminds me, quite a few times I was sitting idle, and I had a strong smell of gas, both outside the car, and inside (heater was running). Never figured out what it was, but I haven't had it in a while... I got this car used, not new, so I don't know if I can get that fixed...

>> Also check the plugs, make sure they got the right gap.
Will do, might end up replacing those later..

>> And clean out the Throttle Body and IAC too.
Where would that be? Any pics?

By the way, my PCV hose had collapsed and I hadn't noticed for a while, but I replaced it, and there was a pea-sized hose in front of that in simmilar shape, replaced that too (Silly putty, anyone?). Could that have caused somthing to not work anymore?

Oh, one mroe thing: If the car has been running and I kill it, reguardless of how long it was running, it will USUALLY start right back up if I start it fairly soon after kiling it (most i've tried was 5-ish mins)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Replace the fuel filter, then inspect the fuel rail area while the car is running to see if there is any gas leaking. If so, take it to the dealer. They will replace it for free. Also, you can check if it was ever replaced by going here:
Chrysler Recall Notices

·
Registered
639 Posts
I didnt think using the gas pedal would do anything except open the throttle body valve - indicating a flooded condition if you have to keep it at WOT to get it started.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where's the fuel filter, how much will it cost, and can I get to it without taking the whole car apart?

Sorry, I don't know much about the car beyond the work I've done to it (I'm getting there :p)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wires?

Had a very similar thing happening to me over the past couple of weeks;so,I started with the small things:new pcv,new plugs,Motorvac'd the fuel system,cleaned IAC,new air filter,cleaned the tb,again,checked for vacuum leaks,etc.And I still had the problem.Like yours,it was especially bad when starting it in the mornings.Never died,but would shake you to death and was definitely only running on 5 cylinders.I was puzzled;then I thought,holy crap,these wires have not been changed for the entire life of the car.So,I thought "what the heck,it can't hurt" and new wires were installed,and ta-da,there was my problem.The #3 wire had a couple hairline splits that was causing my car complete havoc.It is running so smooth now, with 140,000 miles...sorry for the hijack of the thread,just mainly wanted to tell you to definitely check the wires.Hope you track it down...good luck. :thumbs-up

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
First here's a How-to for the fuel filter:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

The fuel filter mounts to the frame rail in front of the fuel tank. The inlet and outlet ends of the filter are marked for installation purposes.

Relieve the fuel system pressure.

Raise and safely support the vehicle then locate the filter.

Fig. 1: The fuel filter mounts to the frame rail in front of the fuel tank

Fig. 2: Raise and safely support the vehicle then locate the filter

Fig. 3: Unbolt the filter from the bracket

Disengauge the quick connect fittings from the filter. Refer to Fuel System for procedures.

Remove the filter mounting bracket, then the filter.

Fig. 4: Disconnect the fuel inlet and outlet lines from the filter

To install:

The inlet and outlet sides of the filter are marked, install the filter with the inlet side to the fuel tank.

Place the filter into the bracket. Place the bracket against the frame rail, tighten the mounting screw to 110 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

Apply a light coat of clean 30 weight engine oil to the fuel filter nipples. Install the fuel lines.

Lower the vehicle.

Start the engine and check for leaks.

Second, Location of IAC :

The location of the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor and other assorted components-3.3L engine

The idle air control (IAC) motor attaches to the bottom of the throttle body on the 3.3L engine

Unscrew the IAC motor from the throttle body housing-3.3L shown

Hope this helps you !!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to the upullem junk yard in a half hour, im getting that bumper and the tail light, and if possible, a replacement front bumper. That should save me 500$ on the work to fix the car :)

I just hope and pray the bumpers are in good shape, everytime I go there's a chewed to hell one on all the cars :(

When I get home I'll work on the above mentioned stuff, plus gotta put that tidbit of the valve cover gasket back in (it's still sealed, but it has a bit sticking out), thanks a TON guys, I hope this fixes the problem too :)

I'm off >_>

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a bumper and the reinforcement, and a new control cluster for the windows on the driver's side (there's a short or somthign there making the windows want to or not want to open..)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, which will suit the trep better?

This one
or
This one?

If the 20$ one will work fine, I'll get it since I'm currently strapped for cash...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the strong smell of gas might be from the evap canister which is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment under the airbox. Sometimes if you overfill the gas tank fuel can back up into the system try changing the canister.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been known to round up to the next dollar/gallon... >_>

Going to checker in a bit, hopefully they'll have the part for once...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filter changed at the same time I changed my Power Steering Pressure hose, let's hope it starts properly in the morning, it took FOREVER to get that filter off, kept thinking the tank was draining lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess I'll have to mess with teh IAD, I'm still having a hard time starting my car, I have to hold the key down until it finally turns over, and after work, it idled at 400rpm for about 15 seconds before it throttled up to 800... Dunno what to say :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator (diaphragm broke), all problems fixed now, save for the gas sprayed all ovre my face.. even after the thing was relieved of pressure, it still shot gas on me (10 minutes after the regulator was removed!).

Weirdest day ever.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts