DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal :deal: My cad instructor told me the other day that she might sell her 96 Intrepid ES. I'll start with the good and then get to the bad.

The Good:
-Leather buckets (imaculate condition)
-Overall interior is like new condition
-Loaded (full OTIS, Trac, ABS, Alarm, Infinity)
-Rear Spoiler
-Nice, clean ES wheels
-Exterior is in great condition
-3.5L engine
-Very well maintained (she also bought the car brand new, and has babied it)

The Bad:
-A little over 200,000 miles on the orig. engine and tranny
-It's white (white is okay, but not top pick on my list)

She told me she was thiniking of asking around $2,000 for the car. I looked it up on kbb.com, and the blue book value says:

Excellent $3,440

Good $3,045

Fair $2,535

My main question is... does anyone know the expected life of the 3.5? Dad said he had two chrysler 2.2's, one in his Turismo and the other in his 87 Shelby Charger, and they both laid down around 250,000 miles.

Here's a couple pics...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
As nice as it may be, and appears to be, with over 200,000 miles I think she's asking too much for it. $1200 would probably be the end of my comfort zone...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, buying any car with over 200,000 miles on her is scary, just to many miles for the money. When I look a used car price on KBB.com, I always click on the Trade-In value, instead of Private Party, just because Trade-In is all she is going to get on it if she trades in for a new car at a dealer.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IntrepidBus IV said:
As nice as it may be, and appears to be, with over 200,000 miles I think she's asking too much for it. $1200 would probably be the end of my comfort zone...
That was my first thought too. I was suprised when I looked up the blue book value on that car.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
hi well i see its a nice looking car and all. i would jump on it. Out of all the good STUFF IN THE CAR.

MAKE SURE THE REAR DEFROSTER WORKS..HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

just kidding. im looking at mine today on the battery terminals and see if there is power across that brown fuse link. take care. Nice white trep. looks like a red intrep pulled up on the side of it after the camery left. Man u have a lot of treps there in that lot. lol
take care and will let u know about my prob.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Take the thing for a test drive in the country and put the pedal to the metal a few times and see how it runs.
I’ve been told these LHS cars should be good for 200,000miles. Anything over is gravy. I think it depends largely how they are taken care of. If you can get it cheap enough like couple grand or so and it’s running ok sounds like a good deal.

If anything you can always part it out if it dies on you.

-GB49

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know she has put a lot of new parts on the car too. I know she was near the school and the timing belt broke on her but it didn't do a any damage to the engine. She had the timing belt and water pump done probabally less than 1,000 miles ago. She also had many suspension parts replaced too. The good thing is she is very picky about her vehicles, any little thing that went wrong she always had it fixed!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sounds like you want her real bad. Hell, go for it !! Sounds like she's in good shape and all, and the lady that your buying from really cared for the car, so you should be alright.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
And you actually personally know the seller. That counts for something. If anything goes wrong with the transaction or the general use of the car, you could ask her about it.

My advice? Go for it.

Josiah

·
Registered
376 Posts
No matter how well it was cared for, 200K is 200K. Don't put too much into the blue book numbers at this mileage level. I'm not saying the car won't go a lot farther, but the odds are against it. For every person that got 300K on the original drivetrain, there are probably 1,000 who didn't make it past 120K. No matter how well the vehicle was maintained, parts wear out. Plain and simple. Think about wheel bearings, seals, struts, steering, etc.

Most buyers will run, not walk when they see those kind of miles. Doesn't matter how good the car is. If you buy it for $2,000, you would have a hard time selling it for $1,500 the same day.

I would offer $1,000 and let her try selling it if she refuses. She'll probably be back to you in a month ready to accept. At a grand, it would be worth taking the chance as you could probably part it out and make most of your money back. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
I don't know what your financial or mechanical situation is but I agree with an offer of $1000. Keep the extra grand for repairs. One advantage is you have some history on this car but it still has beaucuop miles and anything can happen tommorrow (Just as with a brand new car LOL) Is this teacher the original owner?? Or has she only had it for a couple years?? One other thing, TB broke and was replaced..get engine checked by knowledgeable shop for any damage that might have occured..it might be running but how long. Good luck.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You’re really going to get a variety of suggestions on this one, so I’ll throw my opinion in here too. When you think about it, you can get a car that has 70,000 miles that will have the engine and tranny crap out, whether it’s maintained well or not because of some part failing. I pay more attention to the maintenance and previous owners driving style more then the miles on the car. Another good point on it is that it’s a one owner car, so there is less likelihood of there being hidden things that no one has seen. Also if she’s putting on an average of close to 1700 miles a month, my guess is that most what she does is highway driving. So since it’s fully loaded, I’d probably go for it. It would be foolish to take anyone’s first offer for a car if you can avoid it, but I’d spend 2k for it. After all even if the engine and tranny crapped out, if you did it right I bet you could get them both replaced for less then 2k, and since the rest of the car is in great shape you would then have a basically brand new car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
24vsleeper said:
After all even if the engine and tranny crapped out, if you did it right I bet you could get them both replaced for less then 2k, and since the rest of the car is in great shape you would then have a basically brand new car.
Good point, but even a crate engine/trans replacement hardly makes a car new again. Items like switches, electric motors (seat, window, etc.), suspension, A/C components, audio system, and basically anything else outside of the major powertrain have tons of use on them. If the windshield is original you can bet it is pretty well pocked at 200K miles. How much longer will the fuel pump last? What about the wiper motor? You can see where I'm going with this. A car with this much use could nickel and dime you to death with all the little things that are likely to need replacement soon.

While it's true that even a car with 70K could have a major problem, at least it will still be worth what a 70K car should be if you fix it. A rebuilt engine will cost the same whether you put it in a 70K car or a 200K car. Take both those cars with the same rebuilt engine and the 70K car is going to be worth a lot more.

I'm not saying don't buy it, he just needs to make sure he buys it right.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,356 Posts
I'd stay away from even a 2nd Gen LH with 200k on it unless it was $300. That's a money pit waiting to happen.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Reminds me of a which speaker to buy thread lol. So many different opinions!

This kids gotta seriously think on this one, and do a lot more shopping around, and come back later if he still wants it. Trust me on this one, if i bought the first "good deal" i saw I would be in a Vibe or a Eclipse.

Josiah

1 - 20 of 23 Posts