DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sister Has This intrepid and A While ago it started to over heat. So i Replaced the water pump and thermostat on it. And now it has no spark. Everyone was telling me that i messed up the timing when replacing the pump but i didnt move the cams or anything i made sure everything went back together correctly nothing moved or spun. And if it was the timing i would still get spark. It ran before just would over heat. Any tips or ideas on what to check would be great. Also how can i check the timing where are the marks and everything so i can make sure. I dont have a manual on it either.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
If the timing is off, then most likely not get any spark since the computer is seeing a mismatched signal from the Cam / Crank sensors, and it is not allowing the ASD Relay to disengage. The cams do rotate a little when you remove the tension from the timing belt when replacing the water pump.

To check the timing, rotate the engine till it is at Top Dead Center (There is an arrow on the Crank Sprocket and TDC labeled close to it - Put the arrow there) and look at the Cams. There is a dot on each cam sprocket and 2 on the timing housing. If one or both off you would need to reset the timing.

There is an FSM (Factory Service Manual) On here that gives better details on timing the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts