DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the OBD, I have a bad O2 sensor. It's Bank 1 sensor 2. I understand that's the at the catalytic converter. If I'm under the car, I can see both of the sensors at the converter. I'm assuming that it's the farthest one on the passenger side. Is that correct?

The other problem I have is getting access to the pigtail. It's out of reach. Does anyone know how to get to the pigtail to replace it or should I just splice the wires?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Thread necromancy for exactly the same problem. Bad O2 sensor, after the cat, passenger side.

I removed the air inlet hose, but I was blocked by the tie rod. I removed the front tire splash guards, but was blocked by the catalytic convertor. I can reach the plug laying on the ground under the car (gumby arms ftw), but there's no way in heck I could ever put it back together again from that position.

I've decided to cut and splice the wires. I bought heat shrink tubes, dielectric grease and crimp splices and I'll have at it in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Thread necromancy for exactly the same problem. Bad O2 sensor, after the cat, passenger side.

I removed the air inlet hose, but I was blocked by the tie rod. I removed the front tire splash guards, but was blocked by the catalytic convertor. I can reach the plug laying on the ground under the car (gumby arms ftw), but there's no way in heck I could ever put it back together again from that position.

I've decided to cut and splice the wires. I bought heat shrink tubes, dielectric grease and crimp splices and I'll have at it in the morning.
Splicing wires at the O2 is not recommended. O2 uses the wires, (And the loose insulation around them), for the internal air supply.

Remove the rest of the air inlet to the throttle bodies and you should be able to reach. I don't remember this being so difficult?:glum:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Splicing wires at the O2 is not recommended. O2 uses the wires, (And the loose insulation around them), for the internal air supply.
Yep. However, it can be done.


Remove the rest of the air inlet to the throttle bodies and you should be able to reach. I don't remember this being so difficult?:glum:
I read this before I started working on it, so I thought I'd give it another go. Just as a reality check, with my shoulder about level with the intake manifold, I can barely reach in a straight line to where the plug is. That doesn't account for having to bend my arm to get above the transmission. I just don't see reaching this thing from the top.

This one is a bugger. If I ever have the cats replaced, I'll have them put in an extension so that the two plugs are side by side.


Anyway, the ugly deed is done. I used non-waterproof 18 ga butt splices and PVC shrink tubes. Just to be sure, I took a nylon wire tie and hoisted the splice up above the back transmission mounting where the plug for the drivers side o2 is. That will give the splices some protection from direct spray.

I ran it up the highway and back about 10 miles total and no codes. Not that it means much. The real test will be a Pacific NW winter.

I promise to give you a 3 month and 1 year report. If you don't see a follow up post in this thread, that means it's still working. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Yep. However, it can be done.


I read this before I started working on it, so I thought I'd give it another go. Just as a reality check, with my shoulder about level with the intake manifold, I can barely reach in a straight line to where the plug is. That doesn't account for having to bend my arm to get above the transmission. I just don't see reaching this thing from the top.

This one is a bugger. If I ever have the cats replaced, I'll have them put in an extension so that the two plugs are side by side.


Anyway, the ugly deed is done. I used non-waterproof 18 ga butt splices and PVC shrink tubes. Just to be sure, I took a nylon wire tie and hoisted the splice up above the back transmission mounting where the plug for the drivers side o2 is. That will give the splices some protection from direct spray.

I ran it up the highway and back about 10 miles total and no codes. Not that it means much. The real test will be a Pacific NW winter.

I promise to give you a 3 month and 1 year report. If you don't see a follow up post in this thread, that means it's still working. =)
If I get a 1st gen in the shop sometime soon, I'll take a look and see what all the fuss is about. Glad you have a working system again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Well, I blew by the 3 month report. Only remembered this when I came to read up on timing belt replacement.

Anyway, my little splice job has survived one pacific northwest winter. Car still runs fine, other than an intermittent stumble that I'm attributing to very old spark plugs. Just ticked over 190k miles.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top