DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an intermittent battery light on the dash and I have no idea how old the current alternator is. It looks pretty old, and I have NO clue when or IF the previous owner ever replaced it. Looking at replacement alternators online and all I'm seeing is a 90amp alternator. Does anyone know of a higher amp alternator available for a 1st gen Intrepid? Or does anyone have firsthand info on any 130 amp (or higher) alternators that will bolt on to a first gen Intrepid? Like maybe will one from a Dodge Caravan or something fit? I wish I could go do some test fitting at the local "U-pull-It" junkyards, but there isn't a single yard within 5hrs of me that has a 1st gen Intrepid in their inventory. So I'd literally have to BUY an alternator just to test fit it on my own car.

·
Dain bramaged
7,306 Posts
my 3.3l 1st gen had a 136amp alternator out of a dodge ram in it. Bolted in, just had to change the plug. No idea about 3.5l motors though.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my 3.3l 1st gen had a 136amp alternator out of a dodge ram in it. Bolted in, just had to change the plug. No idea about 3.5l motors though.
Do you have any idea what year Ram or from what size Dodge Ram engine has a 136a alternator that would fit the 3.3 Intrepid engine?

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Some time in the past, I saw a site that posted the details of alternator mounting features (length and relative clocking angles of the main mounting bolt hole relative to belt tightening lug, connector configuration, etc.) for purposes of physically interchanging alternators between vehicles, either as direct drop in or improvising. Can't remember where I saw that - maybe someone can post a link to such a site.

Of course pulley and pulley mounting/shaft details also have to be considered.

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Will one of these work? Filtered to fit '97 3.3 Dodge/Chrysler - 170 amp:

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts

·
Dain bramaged
7,306 Posts
The mount pattern of the alt used on the 3.3l is super common among chrysler vehicles. You can get a 136amp out of a 4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee easily, you can also track down a 160amp out of a 2002 5.9l Durango. The plug will need changed but its simple 2 wires.

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
The mount pattern of the alt used on the 3.3l is super common among chrysler vehicles. You can get a 136amp out of a 4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee easily, you can also track down a 160amp out of a 2002 5.9l Durango. The plug will need changed but its simple 2 wires.
Good info.!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9L P/N # 14430 from Autozone nets you a bolt in 120amp alternator. I have had one in my 3.3 Eagle for 10+ years now. Costs like $130 bucks wanna say.

The field wires have to be cut and have eyes put on them.

I believe a thinner spacer between block/head and alternator bushing to fit perfect, or just shave down the split bushing.

A newer Belt that is longer is required. I can not remember the part number for it. I suggest buying two belts above the old size and trail fit.

Stock 90 amp unit on left, 120 amp unit on right.

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gear Automotive design

Installed. Green wire with orange Stripe up top, green wire on bottom (field wires looking at back)

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9L P/N # 14430 from Autozone nets you a bolt in 120amp alternator. I have had one in my 3.3 Eagle for 10+ years now. Costs like $130 bucks wanna say.

The field wires have to be cut and have eyes put on them.

I believe a thinner spacer between block/head and alternator bushing to fit perfect, or just shave down the split bushing.

A newer Belt that is longer is required. I can not remember the part number for it. I suggest buying two belts above the old size and trail fit.

Stock 90 amp unit on left, 120 amp unit on right.

View attachment 42074

Installed. Green wire with orange Stripe up top, green wire on bottom (field wires looking at back)

View attachment 42075
THANK YOU!
This is the best reply as of yet. I really appreciate it brother!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts