DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im new here and this is my first post.

Over the past month, my 97 Intrepid, 3.3l V6, approx. 159,000m has been running very hot, right near the upper limit on the gauge. It has hit the overheat mark a few times, but I tend to pull over and turn the car off if it gets to close for comfort. The wierd thing is, if I turn my heater on full, the car will take quite some time before reaching the top of the temp gauge...usually after 40-50 minutes of driving. Without the heater on, it only takes about 15 minutes to do so. Could this be a thermostat issue? Before all of this, the temp gauge sat right in the middle no matter how long the drive.

I live in Michigan, on a dirt road which is quite dusty. I dunno if this plays a part in it or not. I have not had any problems with the car other than this. I change the oil regularly and take good care of the car. All fluid levels are full, and I have no leaks of any kind.

Im just at a loss, and am hesitant to take it in somewhere as costs are quite high, and if its somthing simple, Id rather do it myself.

Thanks for any help that you can provide me!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So the coolant is full? No leaky water pump? No leaky hoses or radiator? Definately try replacing the thermostat, its cheap and that sounds like your problem.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If the heater draws heat away from the engine, then the radiator isn't doing it's job. Could be clogged with the dirt on your road or internally clogged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes. i had same problem with my 1997 intrepid. i bought a new radiator. problem gone. so flush it or get new radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts