DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 97 Intrepid SPort with 3.5 engine and when I take my foot off the gas the car keeps reving and while I am friving it the RPMs go up to 3-5 instead of 2 like it usually does. Does anybody know what could be causeing this? It just started today.

Also for a while my engine has been idleing rough and when I hooked a scan tool up to it it came up as MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 5 I took my car to JiffyLube a few weeks ago and they got the same code and said my O2 sensor was not working.

I bought a new O2 sensor and have yet to install it (will so it when engine cools today) but I still think this will not get rid of the engine idling rough and the Gas Delay/High Rev...

PS I have tried Sea-foam to clean the injectors and there are new spark plugs in the car.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
cylinder 5 misfire was the problem I had when I had a lower intake leak, common problem with the 3.5 engines, if the plugs are new, check the wires, coil pack and the intake gaskets by spraying carb cleaner around the mating points with the engine running, if the idle races, it could be the problem.......... in case you dont know, cylinder 5 is the cylinder closest to the firewall on the passenger side

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill have to try that later...

Sorry, I should have posted one thing at a time.

My main concern is why it is reving so high when I tap the gas. Like its sticking...

It is currently in my pole barn and I am trying to fix it. Im upset becuase I wanted to go up North for the 4th but dont ttrust the TREP right now...

This is my secound trep and it hasnt been as nice as my 96... :gun6:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I thought could be a problem for the high-rev. How much does a gasket cost?

Also I checked my wires on Cylider 5 and I got a spark on the plug, but the plug in 5 looks cleaner compared to the other spark plugs. I am thinkiong its an injector issue. If so how much do injectors run for the trep and hopw long would it take to replace one as I dont want to pay too much becuase the car is not worth much. I am guessing they are expensive since the wires go down through that plastic tubing to the cam.

I might just have a mechanic look over it and if the cost to fix it is too much I may look into purchasing a new car (which I dont want to do)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Buy the carb cleaner like was reccomended, and check to see if its the gasket first. Thats gonna be your best option right now, don't get ahead of yourself and start freaking out looking at prices just yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldnt wait to see what was wrong with it so I brought it in and it was the Intake Manifold Gasket. Took care of my misfire in five, rough idel, and my high rpms/non-shifting.

Cost me 350 bucks but at least now I feel like the car wont blow up on me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.