DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was challenged to race an automatic 2005 mustang stock v6 (dont know if it will happen though)

i have a 1998 stock ES

i was just wondering which car would probably win from a red light start, and from a 55 mph rolling start?

thanks for any info, he says his car can leave my car in the dust

ive raced a 99 v6 manual mustang before and won

·
Registered
917 Posts
Trust me, the V6 Mustang is very slow. I test drove one about a month ago because it was fairly cheap with low miles...my 97 sport (3.5) was faster by a measurable margin.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I've beat them in my ES with a 3.5HO, not sure about the differences to the 98 3.2 though.
As you already know, there's a huge performance difference between a not-even-close-to-stock 3.5HO and a bone-stock 3.2 that is 6+ years older and may have more mileage. Also the maintenance / condition of both cars factors into it.

I'd put my money on the Mustang. I think I'd be pretty dead-even with them in my '04 3.5 with Special PCM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ROAD&TRACK April 2005 , test mustang V6 .
curb weight 3450.
0-60 6.8sec.
0-1/4mile 15.1 / 92.7.mph

Of course that's with a "professional" driver I may be able to arrange a real world test tomorrow night on an 1/8th mile track between my '94 3.5 'Corde and my girlfriend's '06 V6 mustang.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ROAD&TRACK April 2005 , test mustang V6 .
curb weight 3450.
0-60 6.8sec.
0-1/4mile 15.1 / 92.7.mph

Of course that's with a "professional" driver I may be able to arrange a real world test tomorrow night on an 1/8th mile track between my '94 3.5 'Corde and my girlfriend's '06 V6 mustang.
Most intrepids can only do the 1/4 mile in the 15.5 to 16.5 range, depending on the little extras you put into the trep and how smoothly you get run it down the track. I've only "heard" of 3.5HO treps that supposedly do 15.5, but I have yet to actually see one myself. I also haven't seen a trep break 92mph at the traps -- this is Shadowvox kinda speed with his M.

If the V6 Mustang can get down there in 15.1 seconds, you might want to bargain for 2 car lengths!

Either way.....there's only 1 way to find out....get to the track and run what ya brung.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'll get spanked (19,000 mile Mustang vs. 236,000 mile Concorde), but at least it'll be fun research. It'll only cost $30 to play as long as I don't break anything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'll get spanked (19,000 mile Mustang vs. 236,000 mile Concorde), but at least it'll be fun research. It'll only cost $30 to play as long as I don't break anything.
well.....you might. Your engine might be a little tired for racing, and his is new and still getting broke in, but you have the right idea about fun research! It should ALWAYS be in good fun!

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
You could take an earlier 3.8 in 94-96 Mustangs with no problem. Believe it or not My bud and I raced, me against his 94 3.8 and I won, but it was CLOSE. But the new 4.0 has roughly 100 more hp than a '94 3.8. Cold hard facts are. Mustang is lighter, has 15 more hp, gobs more torque, and the gearing is better for the quarter. I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will admit that the new V6 mustang is the only respectable mustang to have a V6 in recent times. It is the only model that I have come across that can outrun me to the speed limit getting onto the freeway which is 65 (still talking V6 here). Anything newer than the 04' mustang I really wouldnt mess with it. Now if its older than that Im going to put my money on you because you have more power, not to mention FWD gives you better traction so you would get them off the line anyways. Problem with our engines and transmissions is that a lot of the time they are geared for low end power for stop light to stop light runs. I just wanted to be included in this thread.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Problem with our engines and transmissions is that a lot of the time they are geared for low end power for stop light to stop light runs.
For a 2G, there's really no low-end power. Its geared a little higher than most. For example, my 2.7 doesn't come into its own until roughly 4 grand. Then it takes off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts